Anyone know what this is?

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I purchased this beautiful 8” succulent from my work today but it doesn’t say what the actual type it is. I’m not familiar with this category whatsoever and hopefully someone can help me out so I can do some research about it. My apologies as I know this is not a bonsai tree but I hoped someone could help out. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• D430B66A-4A67-4205-BF3D-2CC141F996EA.jpeg
    D430B66A-4A67-4205-BF3D-2CC141F996EA.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 29CF9B99-ED32-4793-A3C0-B234458675EB.jpeg
    29CF9B99-ED32-4793-A3C0-B234458675EB.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 32

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a beauty. I don't think I have this one.
Does anyone have a suggestion for an internet group for succulent collectors?

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you so much! I’m very new to succulents so this gives me a great starting point! Appreciate the time guys.

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Description​

Aristaloe is a genus of evergreen flowering perennial plant in the family Asphodelaceae from Southern Africa. Its sole species is Aristaloe aristata, known as guinea-fowl aloe or lace aloe.

Scientific name: Aristaloe aristata
Higher classification: Aristaloe
Order: Asparagales
Tribe: Aloeae

Pulled this from Google thanks to your input. That’s exactly what it is!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Well, those are very common around here.
Could be two different species:

Aloe Aristata if there are white dots on the leaves
or...
Haworthia limifolia if the leaves are tiger stripped

Both are called "armadillo tail" in Brazil.

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 11.14.26.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

or...

View attachment 334979
Haworthia doesn't have such toothed edges. I have a couple dozen types including limifolia which can be spotted or striped but does not have toothed edges.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Its a beauty. I don't think I have this one.
Does anyone have a suggestion for an internet group for succulent collectors?
the best i found was garden.org forums, but theyr not too good. they have a multihundred succulent thread but it doesnt hit the same.

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
nice pup off to the left, pot that separately
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/the-houseplant-thread-what-do-you-have.46452/page-2

i did it to my orange star aloe or w.e. it is lol, you can see pup growing now in container with a rock from the grand canyon in the pot
I figured that wasn’t a part of the main plant. I have one on the other side too. Are they a different species or will they grow as big as the main one? Not familiar with succulents at all so any help or guidance is appreciated.

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

or...

View attachment 334979
Thank you for letting me know. That’s a very fitting nickname!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I figured that wasn’t a part of the main plant. I have one on the other side too. Are they a different species or will they grow as big as the main one? Not familiar with succulents at all so any help or guidance is appreciated.
theyre babies of the same plant

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This is how they make more plants. They can also flower and have seeds but seeds are hit and miss in desert environment. It makes sense to start with almost full grown babies where conditions are harsh.
Just cut the pup off and plant in another pot. They don't even need roots to start. The pup will grow new roots as soon as it is in soil and grow into a full sized plant.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one I purchased sometime around 2004. It throws a runner every 2 weeks and flowers at least once a year. The flower stalk is twice as long as a healthy orchid flower stalk. The flowers are pink socks that appear to be a hummingbird’s treat usually lasting 3-5 days and drying up the stalk for roughly a month.

In Africa it is crushed and used in the bath to heal skin. It makes an excellent morning window plant.

Always use a round pot with a diameter of the leafs. Runners can be torn loose like breaking a crab leg and zip-locked in a small amount of water to grow roots, one drop of superthrive is helpful. I have given away many.F8EEFF4E-2E85-4B8F-9FFB-E26434821D8E.jpeg74BFD960-F4F0-4EE1-A0EF-CDCB438EB739.jpegBF9FDAB3-747A-480A-9261-3FC268C13A4F.jpeg

Top Bottom