Anyone know what this little seedling is?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Elm, probably Chinese elm but they aren’t native trees so maybe another Elm or a landscape tree nearby

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Looks suspiciously like a Chinese elm. They can grow from seed or from suckers from the roots of nearby trees. Is there a Chinese elm nearby?

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Other then my chinese elm bonsai no. Not any American elms that I have noticed either. My thought was an American elm.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty sure it is Chinese elm. None of the other elms look like this..... normally. Though it is non native, it might as well be as it is very well established.

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I found like 4 of them growing in my landscaping. Very well established indeed haha. I might just have to add to my collection I guess. I'm really curious about how they got there though? I just started collecting trees last year and as far as I know it didnt drop seeds.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Blaine Minnesota - more likely to be Siberian elm than Chinese elm,
Siberian elm - Ulmus pumila - has very tiny leaves, even on big trees. It really is a rampant weed in full sun. In part shade American elm and Slippery elm tend to take over and Siberian seldom sprouts in shaded locations.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ulmus pumila makes decent bonsai - if you can give it full sun, dawn to dusk full sun. Will drop branches on the shady side of the tree.

Ulmus americana, and Ulmus rubra - make decent bonsai, leaves reduce well with branch ramification. Does not drop branches as easily as U. pumila.

Ulmus thomasii is native to Minnesota - it is the cold tolerant version of the Cedar elm, sometimes called Rock elm. This is worth seeking out for bonsai.

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Very informative. Thanks!! I guess we shall wait and see. I'll keep my eye out for the tree that the seeds could have came from.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Elm seed has wings so can travel reasonable distance on the wind. I'd start looking upwind for its Mom.

Top Bottom