anyone know what this tree is?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
anyone know what type of tree this is? I'm in southern Wisconsin... sorry no pics of the bark255060

Ali_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello - anyone know what tree this is? I collected it, not doing so well :(
I thought it was this one type of tree, but I was wrong...
The new growth on the tips started to wilt once I repotted it. Now, the are starting to turn brown. The soil is acidic potting soil. It's in the shade now for most of the day, gets full sun for about an hour or so. I live in Orange County, CA....it's been hot last week, but this week is a little cooler. The wilting started to get worse last week.
Please help...also what should I do to try and save it.

Attachments

• 20190707_120331_resized.jpg
    20190707_120331_resized.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190802_060045_resized.jpg
    20190802_060045_resized.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190802_060054_resized.jpg
    20190802_060054_resized.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20190802_060108_resized.jpg
    20190802_060108_resized.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 55
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The new growth on the tips started to wilt once I repotted it. Now, the are starting to turn brown. The soil is acidic potting soil. It's in the shade now for most of the day, gets full sun for about an hour or so. I live in Orange County, CA....it's been hot last week, but this week is a little cooler. The wilting started to get worse last week.
Looks kind of like larch to me... Is so you should not reply except when dormant

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looks more like some type of fir...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But box elder, like all maples, have opposite leaves and poison ivy is alternate.

Poison ivy is very similar to Box Elder - with compound leaves most commonly with three leaflets (though Box Elder can sometimes have five or seven leaflets, and poison ivy can also rarely have five). The base leaflets on both trees are alternate.

Box Elder

Poison Ivy

I usually can spot poison ivy because of the glossy appearance of the leaves - caused by the presence of the urushiol oil. Also, the base leaflets of poison ivy have almost no stem, whereas base leaflets of Box Elder have a noticeable stem.

If you get confused, remember the old saying "Three leaves, let it be. Berries white, don't let @BrianBay9 select your yamadori." :)

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
when did you collect it? Nursery potting soil will probably be the cause of its demise, particularly if you did not keep enough roots. whatever roots it might grow will suffocate and die in that soil.

Ali_Bonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
when did you collect it? Nursery potting soil will probably be the cause of its demise, particularly if you did not keep enough roots. whatever roots it might grow will suffocate and die in that soil.
So what soil is best for collecting trees? Found out it is a Douglas Fir

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry last question...would it be ok to switch the soil with pumice at this point for this tree?
No. Trees shouldn’t be repotted more than once a year, especially if you’re fully replacing the soil.

Leave it alone.

Repots, in general, are best done during periods of dormancy.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry last question...would it be ok to switch the soil with pumice at this point for this tree?
sorry to hear your tree is going downhill. Collection is tricky, and the rate of survival is directly relates to your collecting technique and, more importantly, the aftercare you provide. I don't know when or from where you collected this tree, but it seems to me you did it with no preparation. Please, I am not trying to let you down, but it is important that you learn as much as you can from this experience to up your probabilities of success the next time. In general, nursery soil is bad for potted trees. For newly collected trees it might be a dead sentence. Read up on modern substrates (there are many resources in this site), they tend to be granular and inorganic, allowing water to drain freely and giving good amounts of oxygen to the roots. Learn when to collect. A rule of thumb is to do it right before the shoots start elongating, in Spring. Learn how to water. A major problem with potting soil is that it will remain constantly wet in the bottom, leading to a saturated environment for the roots. This can kill a tree. Learn when to repot. As with collecting, it is better to do it when the tree is actively growing. One thing you can do now to help your tree is mist its foliage several times a day. Hopefully this help.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poison ivy is very similar to Box Elder - with compound leaves most commonly with three leaflets (though Box Elder can sometimes have five or seven leaflets, and poison ivy can also rarely have five). The base leaflets on both trees are alternate.

Box Elder
View attachment 255651

Poison Ivy
View attachment 255652

I usually can spot poison ivy because of the glossy appearance of the leaves - caused by the presence of the urushiol oil. Also, the base leaflets of poison ivy have almost no stem, whereas base leaflets of Box Elder have a noticeable stem.

If you get confused, remember the old saying "Three leaves, let it be. Berries white, don't let @BrianBay9 select your yamadori." :)

Sorry to disagree. Box elder buds are opposite (see https://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weedguide/single_weed.php?id=11
). I've tested this theory out many times.

Top Bottom