Anyone knows how to treat this ?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
A friend of mine sent me these pics of his cherry bloom trees in front of his house and asking me if I know how to treat it, anyone knows ? Thanks in advance

994DBF73-96BD-40E2-95F2-001FC76D0520.jpegA88A43BB-4C2C-47F7-BB51-FAE5DC2E3D22.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is lichen, a symbiotic relationship between an algae and and fungus.
It can actually be a sign of decent air quality.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is lichen, a symbiotic relationship between an algae and and fungus.
It can actually be a sign of decent air quality.
I've heard that the more yellow lichen are a sign of poor air quality. Eversince, I've noticed a lot of lichen in yellow colors, but only in the cities.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had lichen all over my landscape cherry tree in my front yard for decades. I think it has to do with the favorable growing conditions on the bark (probably acidic and the texture is easy for the lichen to grab onto). It's Not a problem. I Wouldn't "treat" it with anything. The treatment could worse than the "problem" which lichen isn't.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The only problem with lichen is when covers young branches, if its very thick it could choke out the buds, in the main trunk it dont make any harm just stetical

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only problem with lichen is when covers young branches, if its very thick it could choke out the buds, in the main trunk it dont make any harm just stetical
Where I live in the Shenandoah Valley, lichen is quite common and found everywhere. I have never seen it choke out buds.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
It can happen, specially in weaker interior branches, when the lichen grows thick and covers them it can choke out the buds of light and definitely prevent back budding in the dormant buds, I think its a logical thing if a bud dont get any light it will be much harder to expect healthy growth

Top Bottom