Anyone Living in Asia- What trees do you keep?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I Live In Korea as the name suggests. interested to see who else lives in Asia and what kind of tree you have. I live in an apartment which limits size wise what I can do, I have maples, Juniper, Pine, Figs, Rose etc.....Incase youre wondering how they stay alive inside, I have a covered patio so they are safe ^^ Don't worry...

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, Bunjae (is that "bonsai" in Korean?) - I have mostly collected material, and my collection includes peaches (from abandoned fields and landscape throw-aways), a cherry, ash (Chinensis, probably), a plum of some kind, and elm (parvifolia and possibly pumila or another northern species). I also have some seed starts that include maple (palmatum and another northern species that may be pictum or truncatum) and an oak that is found in the mountains in Beijing, probably (variabilis or dentata).

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I suspect all trees grown/ used in japan will do well in your area.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice to meet you guys. Yeah, many species found in Japan are also found here, or at least some subspecies of the same thing. There is a lot of road construction happening in my area lately so I am eyeing some trees that I reckon will be destroyed. Lol yes Bunjae is Bonsai in Korean based on the Chinese characters. Thanks for your replies, found a Chinese Apricot near my house still a sapling, any good methods for thickening Prunus species?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At this point, I only have experience with girth-increase on one tree in the Prunus genus - a cherry. Everything else was either already the thickness that I wanted when I collected it or just collected this year so I have not been able to see the results.

With the cherry, it was growing in a colander in 2012 and a larger plastic basin (with drainage holes, of course) in 2013. It is about 8 cm at the base now, and was about half that size at the start of the growing season in 2012. I did not prune it at all during those two years.

I've seen good results in trunk width growth in general when using the air-pot concept (for example, with colanders), fertilizing well, and allowing trees to grow unimpeded.

Last edited:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Ground is the best for fattening trunks...

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the advice, ideally I'd like to leave it where it is for a while but its growing next to the wall and the indiscriminate gardener is likely to chop it. So annoying......they chop anything that isn't specifically planted by them......

Top Bottom