Anyone making Bonsai Rock Slabs in the U.S.?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been impressed with Jan Culek and Erik K's hand built slabs they build in Europe. I think Mirai is the exclusive dealer of their work in the U.S., and the prices are way up there at somewhere around $800-$1000 for the size I need. Does anyone know of others making slabs with a slight bowl to them in the U.S.? Or do I need to suck it up and save my pennies? I can make flat ones out of flagstone as explained by @crust but not the bowl type.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been impressed with Jan Culek and Erik K's hand built slabs they build in Europe. I think Mirai is the exclusive dealer of their work in the U.S., and the prices are way up there at somewhere around $800-$1000 for the size I need. Does anyone know of others making slabs with a slight bowl to them in the U.S.? Or do I need to suck it up and save my pennies? I can make flat ones out of flagstone as explained by @crust but not the bowl type.

When I was younger and more willing to move weight around I made slabs out of some types of flagstone. Used an angle grinder with a diamond blade to make the bowl. You can do that pretty easily by cutting many parallel tracks in the stone and breaking them out with a chisel. Drain holes with concrete drill bits. Got some great looks, but got tired of lifting them.

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All of mine have always been wild caught, BB9’s method is great too. Adding the drainage and anchor holes to exactly where and the exact sizes you need is nice and convenient.

Attachments

• 54D0AE1C-D538-408F-BBA6-9E914330E02B.jpeg
    54D0AE1C-D538-408F-BBA6-9E914330E02B.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 76A74FFA-4DF0-4131-A65C-97BB879A6345.jpeg
    76A74FFA-4DF0-4131-A65C-97BB879A6345.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 84

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cemint fondue and concrete stuff looks easy and fun to make. Another option is feather rock, it looks awesome, carves and chisels into shape easily and is lightweight.. like a feather.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Check the ''Pots'' sub forum here on BNut, there are a number of people ''playing with'' ciment fondue. The spelling ''ciment'' is the correct spelling of the high aluminum cement being produced by LaFarge. Normally it is sold for high temperature uses, foundries, etc. It has different setting properties than Portland Cement.

Just read back a bit.

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tha
Check the ''Pots'' sub forum here on BNut, there are a number of people ''playing with'' ciment fondue. The spelling ''ciment'' is the correct spelling of the high aluminum cement being produced by LaFarge. Normally it is sold for high temperature uses, foundries, etc. It has different setting properties than Portland Cement.

Just read back a bit.
Thanks, Doubt I ever use any of the fondue but it looks like a total blast. The earth clay you can collect and fire yourself looks fun too.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Just read back a bit.

use it at the shop on the furnaces.....yes, it's a foundry. Carry on....;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was at Dave's place a couple weeks ago and he does made custom slabs. I believe he was making one for somebody that looked to be about 24". I have one of his earlier slabs and it is very sturdy.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been impressed with Jan Culek and Erik K's hand built slabs they build in Europe.

Are Jan's 'mountainscape' creations made out of rock or a man made material? I have seen youtube videos of Kimura shape them out of bigger boulders and other people make them out of breeze blocks you would find on a building site?

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are Jan's 'mountainscape' creations made out of rock or a man made material? I have seen youtube videos of Kimura shape them out of bigger boulders and other people make them out of breeze blocks you would find on a building site?

Jan's are completely manmade. But he's super hush hush about what goes into making them. I assume it's something like what @Ruben Bouwmeester uses for his work. They look great up close in any case.

Top Bottom