Anyone north of Charlotte in NC?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for offering. I am interested. I'm just west of Charlotte in Belmont but I can do a 30 minute drive.
Right now it's Brad Russell (Bonsai Learning Center) and myself but he has a few contacts that he is hoping to rope in. I'll keep you informed :)

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Will there be livestreaming? :D
That will only be for our January bonsai study group / polar bear plunge in the lake :)

Joking aside, this will just be an informal group sharing trees and working together. We may have themed meetings where we focus on a certain subject, but for the most part the intent is to keep it simple... which usually means more people will show up :)

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ah, this warms my heart. I grew up in Belmont/Gastonia and still get down there to visit my parents fairly regularly. Hope you're all well.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I grew up in York SC, which I think is now a suburb of Charlotte. I hope your study group's a success!

lucany

Seedling
Reaction score
hi NC Bonsai fellows...any suggestion on collecting locations in the NC mountains? Looking for pines... I only collect when in possession of a Forest Form FS-2400-1 here in NC from the local Ranger...main rule is to do it by the book....
if you have any suggestion of what regions to explore please let me know.
thanks!!!

Chunt

Seed
Reaction score
I would love you join in as well, I’m new to bonsai and I’m in Belmont

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would love you join in as well, I’m new to bonsai and I’m in Belmont
Cool! Welcome to the site. I would be happy to meet at the Stowe Park (downtown Belmont) shelter soon to talk trees. I could give a beginner's lesson of sorts.

Also, Mateo/BonsaiNut, I worked with Tyler Sherrod recently at the NC club demo and workshop in Charlotte. It was AMAZING. I left with a giddy kid feeling after we wired and he styled a Dwarf Hinoki and azalea that I have had for a couple of years. The work we did in that one day made great improvements to these particular trees, my knowledge, and highly encouraged me to keep studying and working bonsai!
Tyler mentioned that he travels a lot but he is working on his studio so that he can start accepting guests this fall/winter.

I will definitely be making trips to Tyler's once the green light is given.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cool! Welcome to the site. I would be happy to meet at the Stowe Park (downtown Belmont) shelter soon to talk trees. I could give a beginner's lesson of sorts.

Also, Mateo/BonsaiNut, I worked with Tyler Sherrod recently at the NC club demo and workshop in Charlotte. It was AMAZING. I left with a giddy kid feeling after we wired and he styled a Dwarf Hinoki and azalea that I have had for a couple of years. The work we did in that one day made great improvements to these particular trees, my knowledge, and highly encouraged me to keep studying and working bonsai!
Tyler mentioned that he travels a lot but he is working on his studio so that he can start accepting guests this fall/winter.

I have not stepped out into the local bonsai community quite yet. It is defiantly on my list of things to do. Btw I work in the Belmont side of mt. Holly quite often, any must visit nurseries or places out that way?

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have not stepped out into the local bonsai community quite yet. It is defiantly on my list of things to do. Btw I work in the Belmont side of mt. Holly quite often, any must visit nurseries or places out that way?
Mateo,
Southern Roots is a local nursery in the area. I've only been once but they have some really nice maples and basic juniper nanas. I was shopping for garden soil when I went so I didn't really take note of potential stock. I need to go back though as I'm only five minutes away from them.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mateo,
Southern Roots is a local nursery in the area. I've only been once but they have some really nice maples and basic juniper nanas. I was shopping for garden soil when I went so I didn't really take note of potential stock. I need to go back though as I'm only five minutes away from them.
I drove past there last week, thanks for reminding me. 😁

Chunt

Seed
Reaction score

I would love to take you up on this opportunity if still available.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, my life is somewhat chaotic, but I tried touching base with Tyler early this summer and never heard back. Hoping he is as busy as I am/was. I should probably try again :)

Top Bottom