Anyone seen Will?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just saw over on FB that Dan Robinson is looking for Will Hiltz, @grouper52 thought I'd see if I could find him here. Hope you are well my friend.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As Mark Twain is said to have said in response to reading his own obituary, "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Thanks for the conerns though!

I'm in the Philippines, Bicol Region, Camarines Norte Province, Malakban Burangay, Purdok 2, on some unnamed street in a newly-built-and-not-quite-yet-finished house my wife built on a plot of her ancestral land. I came back here on a two week round-trip Delta Airlines ticket about ten days ago. The day after I arrived at the Manila airport and we headed south they closed all travel into and out of the Airport, and put me on "Home Quaranteen" for 14 days: I have to keep a log of my temperature twice a day, and log any other symptoms suggestive of the Corona Virus, and can't visit with anybody except my wife. . . which is touch-and-go (with very little touching). Then several days ago they upped the ante with a country-wide travel ban .... chances of ever getting back to the States looked grim, but then my wife started pulling strings at my insistence to get some of her relatives in the local political machine here to get me - in essence - "Letters of Transit" - as in those from the movie, "Casablanca", signed by all the local medical and political authorities .... we got that done today, so I can probably get through all the countless check-points manned by numerous uniformed military armed with some really spiffy assault rifles I've never seen before between here and the airport in a few days ... we'll see. (the authorities insist this is NOT Martial Law, but the populace has too much experience with that over the years to believe it fully).

As for the prognosis for domestic bliss, it is possibly worse than for Covid-19 ... but we'll see.

About 15 of my old trees from when I left here 15 months ago are still alive, though most just barely. They look too sorry to post Pix ...

I kill time by meditating in my nicely air-conditioned room, re-studying old chess books I left behind about the games of my favorite player, Mikhail Tal, re-reading Red Pine's translations of various old Chinese poet monks, and then, two or three times a day downing an ice cold can of the heavenly robust Red Horse "fortified" beer they have here!!! Nectar of the Gods ... who otherwise seem to have largely vacated the place.

Using Internet and cell phones and such to connect to the US is something I've only done sparingly for a number of reasons ... Someone please tell Dan Robinson I'm fine, and should/may/might probably be back Stateside intact in another week or so.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So....

Not all bimbling is done in-country.

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good to hear from you, sounds like your adventure continues. I hope you stay well, can't imagine that things over there in the health care industry are prepared, but actually seems like they are not here either. I'll pass on your status to Dan, please keep us posted!
J

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Funny you are reading Red Pine. I just, for the first time stumbled across his name and his work. I got curious and read the 2002 interview in Tricycle. I will have to pick up one of his books. It is just interesting coincidence that twice in 24 hours the same author pops up. And it is not because he is promoting a new book.

Red Pine most recent book was translations of Chinese Zen Poetry.

Interesting.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny you are reading Red Pine. I just, for the first time stumbled across his name and his work. I got curious and read the 2002 interview in Tricycle. I will have to pick up one of his books. It is just interesting coincidence that twice in 24 hours the same author pops up. And it is not because he is promoting a new book.

Red Pine most recent book was translations of Chinese Zen Poetry.

Interesting.

I'm familiar with quite a few of his translations. My favorite is probably, "The Clouds Should Know Me by Now: Translations of Buddhist Poet Monks of China", but all the ones I've read were great. He Lives in Port Townsend, WA (town motto: "We're all here because we're not all there!"), a crazy little town about a 90 minute drive north of Silverdale where I lived, and my wife and I drove up at his invite after I asked to meet him and spent a wonderfully gracious and memorable afternoon with him at his home. He's the real deal. Glad you ran across him and his works!

Top Bottom