Anyone tried fusing clump Japanese Quince trunks?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a clump Japanese Quince and wondering if anyone had any success fusing the (approx. 1/2") trunks. Other thoughts whether it will work or not on Quince is also welcome.

I would like to try that if it is feasible rather than reducing it to 1 or 2.

Thank you.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have done fusing with cuttings of flowering quince, but nothing as large in diameter as .5".

I am guessing/estimating didn't really measure...could be 3/8" :eek: and there are 5 of them on one turtle like root base. Not sure how flexible they will be. Maybe grow some cuttings and use those as space filler before fusing?

Any tips?
How long did it take for you?

On another quince, most of the tiny cuttings from it that I stuck on the ground took so they seem to propagate easily.

Thank you. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the quince in question.
attachment.php

It will be difficult but I believe I can pull all these together and try to fuse them but not sure if they will. I also plan on scraping the bark at contact areas to encourage fusing if that will help.

Is it crazy and should I just chop most of it and leave 1 or 2 trunks? I really do not want a clump J. quince...already have one.

Thank you.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the base, with brightness adjusted. I should take a better pic later.
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1160188a.jpg
    P1160188a.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 87

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Quince will fuse if the trunks have not met their full potential girth while in close proximity to other trunks.

One idea that you might want to try is to get some cuttings or even saplings that come up from the roots, and use them to grow in spaces between current trunks in close proximity. Do what you can to encourage the little ones to grow. This will help with fusion.

Another idea is to graft.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have done what you are suggesting with Dogwoods in the past around that size collected at the old property. I scraped contact points, wrapped tight with raffia and clamped them together(not recommended). I left them that way two years but I suspect they fused faster. They were in a side development area and I forgot about them and had a very hard time getting the rusted clamps off :eek: Getting older not wiser...

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you guys.

My dilemma is I cannot wrap with raffia since they are supposed to meet. I can do that on the top but not near the base. I am afraid I have no option but to use clamps initially but can replace it with wire after. I can try but afraid wire alone cannot pull these together.

How would you best protect the bark (at the lower portion) if you do this? I am thinking old rubber slippers and old water hose. Thoughts?

I have to make a decision soon since it is already leafing out and damage to new growth (if done later) is increasing. I can always add more later but not planning on doing that right now...getting the branches closer, touching if possible, is task 1.

Thanks again!

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think quince trunks will fuse very quickly. They gain girth very very slowly.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't think quince trunks will fuse very quickly. They gain girth very very slowly.

Thanks Fred. I thought so but that is where the new cutting will come in and fill the spaces. Do you think it will work?

Thumbless also mentioned grafting, something I didn't think of or considered before but sounds good.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also planning on "V" notching the base between trunks to lessen the resistance there...good or bad idea?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also planning on "V" notching the base between trunks to lessen the resistance there...good or bad idea?

You have aggressive plans for what I consider a specimen(in these parts) to handle all at once. If I did all that here I would expect 50 percent mortality at best but there it may be different.

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
By V notch do you mean the method of grafting described in figure 4 of this Web page only you don't separate the plants?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You have aggressive plans for what I consider a specimen(in these parts) to handle all at once. If I did all that here I would expect 50 percent mortality at best but there it may be different.

Grimmy

Grim,

I haven't worked with j. quince much that is why I am asking. I know their cuttings grow easily so I am taking that as part of their resilience (for now). Maybe I am mistaken.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ahh. I see. I'm afraid I don't have an answer to that. Will be experimenting with my quinces and let you know how mine fare.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grim,

I haven't worked with j. quince much that is why I am asking. I know their cuttings grow easily so I am taking that as part of their resilience (for now). Maybe I am mistaken.

I understand, but as I said your area is quite different, longer growing season especially allows for better recovery. Here, one "sin" a year is about all most of my specimens can take as they have a very short period to bounce back. Myself I would tie that up a little higher and try to "train" them to grow towards each other and then next season notch the bases, scrap the bark, and have an easier time on the plant.

Grimmy

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand the whole innovate or stagnate thing, but it seems that you are voiding out an ideal of helping a tree become a better version of itself. Cutting, scraping, hoping, bending without breaking, could just leave you with a big unnatural looking mess. Why not pick a trunk or two and grow it out.

It feels like the guy in the class who wants to make an formal upright tree out of his Japanese Garden Juniper. Some things aren't meant to be. How do you find a way to capture what is and make it better?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I understand the whole innovate or stagnate thing, but it seems that you are voiding out an ideal of helping a tree become a better version of itself. Cutting, scraping, hoping, bending without breaking, could just leave you with a big unnatural looking mess. Why not pick a trunk or two and grow it out.

It feels like the guy in the class who wants to make an formal upright tree out of his Japanese Garden Juniper. Some things aren't meant to be. How do you find a way to capture what is and make it better?

That is never ruled out. I am just looking for options. From post #5

Is it crazy and should I just chop most of it and leave 1 or 2 trunks? I really do not want a clump J. quince...already have one.

Top Bottom