Anyone tried fusing clump Japanese Quince trunks?

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I have to agree with Fred on post #10...still, I encourage you to try.

When I was first attracted to quince, I did some study that convinced me that single trunked
subjects did not seem to have the logivity that clump style had. We might not ever learn in our life times if multiple trunks into one can make a difference, still it would be fun to know. and so
SOMEONE has to do it.

In all my study of things Japanese, like bonsai, koi etc, the mentality in japan is that you have to really "love" something and raise things as if they were your own child to get the pay back your seeking. When I used to read about this notion, I thought how nice to discribe it in that way, but you know after decades, I swear there is something to that mentality. All this to say
give it your best shot and let's find out :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did some study that convinced me that single trunked
subjects did not seem to have the logivity that clump style had.

I would agree with this...just by observing other clumps...you see old ones in the middle die off and the younger flourish. Clump is renewed with each new sprout...a single trunk will not have this option. If it will compensate, that would be nice to know. :)

Thanks Dick!

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't really believe you have many options, Dario. A little over a year ago, I bought a contorted white flowering quince from Brent. It has one trunk, but I have to keep whacking basal suckers spring through summer. My tree is about 28 years old. The trunk is about .75", but the base is over 2".

You could buy one like I did, or grow one like Brent did. The third option is to find a quince in someone's yard and ask permission to take a division. The ideal plant will be over 100 years old, but somehow, you'll have to sort through the tangle of roots and shoots to find a good prospect for a single trunk.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't really believe you have many options, Dario. A little over a year ago, I bought a contorted white flowering quince from Brent. It has one trunk, but I have to keep whacking basal suckers spring through summer. My tree is about 28 years old. The trunk is about .75", but the base is over 2".

You could buy one like I did, or grow one like Brent did. The third option is to find a quince in someone's yard and ask permission to take a division. The ideal plant will be over 100 years old, but somehow, you'll have to sort through the tangle of roots and shoots to find a good prospect for a single trunk.

Weird to read this today. Past Sunday after church, we took a different route and spotted a yard with maybe over a dozen quince. Some are more than 6 feet wide and about as high. I stopped to ask but no one is home...my wife told me we should stop by again on our way home tonight.

No harm in trying. :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I find this funny. I got this from a nursery for less than $30.00.

lol, I did not say "finished" - I use the word specimen to describe any plant being discussed ;) They are all "specimens" to me.

Grimmy

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thank you guys.

My dilemma is I cannot wrap with raffia since they are supposed to meet. I can do that on the top but not near the base. I am afraid I have no option but to use clamps initially but can replace it with wire after. I can try but afraid wire alone cannot pull these together.

How would you best protect the bark (at the lower portion) if you do this? I am thinking old rubber slippers and old water hose. Thoughts?

I have to make a decision soon since it is already leafing out and damage to new growth (if done later) is increasing. I can always add more later but not planning on doing that right now...getting the branches closer, touching if possible, is task 1.

Thanks again!

What about a 3" or 4" piece of radiator hose from Auto Parts store. Cut to length and slit down one side. Then use a large hose clamp or two or three. Just a thought

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Irwin clamps bonsaiblp and I use have heavy rubber boots on both ends to stop wood damage and work well available at HD and Lowes. If anything a couple or more thicknesses of rubber garden hose would probably work similar with what you are using. cut them and flatten them oversize a bit and tape them together to work with, the tape won't hurt anything and make it easier. Even cheap masking tape.

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep I will use hose (see post #9).

I am planning on using a similar clamp also if I'll handle them one at a time, coupled with wires. Band hose/pipe clamp if I want to do them all at once.

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom