Anyone tried using amethyst rock?

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Anyone tried using amethyst rock?
Just thought it might be nice to use ( apart from being stolen )

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Potawatomi - I think they mean if they leave an amethyst crystal/ geode outside, it is more likely to be stolen.

OP - amethyst fades when exposed to UV, so you might want to cover it somehow when not viewing. I'm sure it would catch the eye, with some WOW factor, so why not?

The two main artistic issues for me are scale and artifice. If you have a big crystal and small tree, how big then is the tree in the eye of the beholder? The bonsai illusion is fragile.

Amethyst aren't found on the surface, and if they are, they will have faded unless protected from light. There are crystals found on open ground, for example:

Also, it may make your tree less impressive, which you don't want, so you either need an incredible tree or to employ subtlety.

Anyhow, I think you should try it! It could be a tree grown over a broken geode, showing crystals underneath for example. Try putting the two things next to each other and see what the vibe is, don't be put off your artistic instincts :)

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must know what your goal is. Stacking pretty things on top of each other does not always make the result prettier.
This is especially true with bonsai where you want to trick the brain with the illusion of a small big tree.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope, not freaking way. I don't want my tree and my work on that tree to take second fiddle to a weird looking fairy-tale rock that has no real character 😁 . Sorry, but flashy and bonsai don't really match up. That's just me, though.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope, not freaking way. I don't want my tree and my work on that tree to take second fiddle to a weird looking fairy-tale rock that has no real character 😁 . Sorry, but flashy and bonsai don't really match up. That's just me, though.
Its spooky how often I find my self agreeing with you these days. I will try not to make a habit of it. ;)
amethyst fades when exposed to UV
I can attest to this. I used to buy and sell mineral specimens in my shop and to other shops. It will even fade eventually under fluorescent lights and sunlight is brutal on it.

I think it is quite lovely to display beautiful stones with bonsai as long as they are not in the pot and part of the bonsai composition.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The two main artistic issues for me are scale...
I know you're referring to size relationships. Scale, meaning the hard water build up of calcium and magnesium, as well as rust and tannin staining, would also be a problem I think.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems to me that earlier threads had points made re: roots being much better off gripping a textured/porous surface, and also re: beautiful stones becoming obscured by roots over time, too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its spooky how often I find my self agreeing with you these days. I will try not to make a habit of it. ;)

I can attest to this. I used to buy and sell mineral specimens in my shop and to other shops. It will even fade eventually under fluorescent lights and sunlight is brutal on it.

I think it is quite lovely to display beautiful stones with bonsai as long as they are not in the pot and part of the bonsai composition.
Everyone realizes what a genius I am after a while... 😁 Either That or their dosages get upped.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not really artistic, as much as meh...

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This thread reminds me of Nick Lenzs remarkable Larch 'Penelope' -
Perhaps not strict Bonsai, but certainly artistic, creative work. Let the creativity flow!
Part of what make Penelope work artistically is that the statue is monochrome, has a non-reflective surface, and is composed of flowing organic shapes. The statue doesn't upstage the tree. It just looks like an ancient civilization did a Mount Rushmore-like mountain carving thing and, many years hence, the forest has reclaimed the land.

In a tree on amethyst composition, the amethyst is always going to be the focal point and will draw the eye away from the tree. I think the only way it has any hope of working aesthetically is if you select a tree species with spectacular flowers or bracts in bold colors that can compete for attention. Even then, you might need to make a Frankentree via grafting to have more than one color flower on the same tree to turn the visual interest up to 11.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Interesting , glad I asked . This is really interesting with so many people with different opinions .

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Ok , I've start my rock build ( with Amethyst ) it's not finished yet , but I'm happy with what I've done so far

Reaction score
Yes, I love amethyst, the purple crystals have amazin healing powers for wearer.

Top Bottom