Anyone use "Shohin soil"

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Don't use that stuff. You should use a fine or small particle size without dust for Shohin. Bark is not a good choice for a Bonsai mix, best used to prevent weeds from growing. A mix of Akadama, pumice, scoria or Akadama pumice is a great mix. Kanuma or Kanuma/pumice for Satsuki. Mycorrhizal relationships will happen on their own without add in's like above. Good luck!

I'd recommend Bonsai tonight for a good online soil source. Or maybe you can go in with friends/club to get some.

Last edited:

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any good sources for pre-mixed/sifted in the 1/16-1/8 particle size for Shohin?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Any good sources for pre-mixed/sifted in the 1/16-1/8 particle size for Shohin?
https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/bonsai-soil/products/clay-king

What I do it buy Clay King(good brand which is already pre-mixed. I'll use my screens and sift out all the fines. Then i'll screen this to two sizes fine and small. I'm not a fan of the Bonsai Jack mixes, they have Turface in them which is not a great selection.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i use bonsai jack and like it. Turface is fine I think. It works here in ohio. The main comment I have with the regular mix is that it dries out pretty quick here in Ohio, even when I mix in pine bark chunks. Not a problem for me personally, but I do water every day.

that other stuff I would not buy. I'd buy a totally inorganic mix from jack (make your own or just buy straight lava rock or something), then mix in whatever organic you want. I've considered milling sphagnum moss into inorganic soil for shohin.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the clay king mix looks good, but I don't use 100% inorganic mixes, so I personally would amend it with some organic material

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
https://store.bonsaitonight.com/collections/bonsai-soil/products/clay-king

What I do it buy Clay King(good brand which is already pre-mixed. I'll use my screens and sift out all the fines. Then i'll screen this to two sizes fine and small. I'm not a fan of the Bonsai Jack mixes, they have Turface in them which is not a great selection.

Thanks Jeremiah. When a person with a bunch of world class trees and one of the best yamadori collections in the US gives advice I like to take it seriously.

Top Bottom