Anyone used this stuff??

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I've been gradually running out of fertilizer and soil components, and I'm in the midst of repotting half of my very modest collection. I was in need of some more fertilizer. Although I'm a skeptic and have always just used cheap liquid fertilizers (along with slow release chemical fertilizers), I've been reading all the threads on this forum regarding humates and humic acid. I've felt like maybe I at least needed to give these types of fertilizers a fair shake. I like to at least maintain the appearance of having an open mind. ;)

I attempted unsuccessfully to track down a local source of Gro power tabs and Kellogs fertilizers so I didn't have to pay astronomical shipping charges. I stopped at a local hydroponics store but I'm not sure I spoke their language (I forgot my tie-die and didn't know there were fertilizers called things like Wet Betty,etc). Fun Place...nice people. Anyway they didn't have what I was looking for.

I finally was at an irrigation store buying several hundred pounds of MVP soil conditioner (turface) when I came across these things called Healthy Start Macro Tabs. They are about the diameter of a quarter and about 1/2 inch thick. I didn't notice an odor. They had the special ingredient...Humate and 7% humic acids. They also had rhizosphere bacteria and a bunch of other stuff that sounded "all natural". A portion of them does appear to be chemical fertilizer, however. A monster 10 pound box that looks like it has hundreds of tabs runs a little over 60$ Thoughts from anyone?? Do I need to go buy some Wet Betty instead?? (I'm kidding):D

Attachments

• Fert.jpg
    Fert.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 75
  • wet-betty-lg.jpg
    wet-betty-lg.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 127
  • viewer.jpg
    viewer.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I couldn't get a good enough photo of the label but if you google "Healthy Start Macro Tabs" there is a PDF with all their ingredients.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I've been growing the same stock and bonsai for many years and am very familiar with their culture and reaction to fertilizer. Last year I began to use liquid humic acid and then gro-power tabs and I'm amazed at the growth. No other changes. Of course, this can be too much of a good thing for mature bonsai so I use small pieces on them. Supposed to last 12 months, but not in a rain forest.;)

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Based on the info in some of Smoke's posts I've been experimenting with Humic acid for a couple of seasons now and it is as advertised. The trees I've used it on grow much more vigorously than the controls without Humic acid.
Paul

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have yet to try it myself (haven't gotten around to it) but Ive heard Humic Acid ferts do wonders for Maples. I'm always one for trying something new, especially since its good to vary the fertilizer types and brands. On the other hand that is a hefty size bag, and short of buying a smaller size as a test run (if they are even available) then theirs also how well it will lend it lends itself to the use of bonsai and the given results is up in the wind.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Smoke's posts are evidence enough however humic acid results are well documented in many university studies. If I get time I will post some stuff.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know how good it is, but the Wet Betty would certainly liven up the section of my garage where I store my fertilizers :eek:

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I don't know how good it is, but the Wet Betty would certainly liven up the section of my garage where I store my fertilizers :eek:

Definitely. That's about the sexiest fertilizer I've ever seen. Who knew chicks could get so excited about nutrients?

Check out the sign next to her on the dock ;)

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too. Give me something pier reviewed from a journal and i'll read every word.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait....lets try peer reviewed. Damn autospell...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Me too. Give me something pier reviewed from a journal and i'll read every word.

Jason, it's okay pier reviewing sounds like more fun! Anyway, size limit on .pdf files is pretty small so this bibliography will get you started. Loads of stuff to read.

http://www.ihss.gatech.edu/books.html

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! I think that will keep me busy for awhile.

Top Bottom