Anyone using notion to keep a bonsai journal?

Necro96

Seedling
Reaction score
I have been seeing that there are people who are using notion to keep a record of the plants they have in their house, and I have thought that this could also apply to bonsai, I would love to know if any of you have experience using notion to maintain a bonsai diary. These are some examples of notion for gardening:
1616887077792.png
1616887102936.png
In this video she shows more about it

Also this is how i am doing it:

Captura.PNG
(it is in spanish it says bonsai garden)

Captura.PNG
Here is the inside of the page, also i am going to put like a chalendar to know where i have done the works (with some photos) and the works that need to be done in the future. What do you think about this, do you have any idea to improve it?

P.D. English is not my main language so I apologize for any misprints that may have been found in the text and also I a new to this forum so I also apologize for any mistake I have made during the post of this thread.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the end, a journal is only as good as the one keeping it. I am way too uninterested in administrative chores to keep a journal. I take pictures and somewhere on a rainy wintersday I go through the pictures and toss them in the folder I keep for each tree. That is my admin :)

1616914851809.png

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye, a before and after pic works well.

I think a journal has more potential to lie than be accurate.

Sorce

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No on Notion. I use Bonsai Album....an App on my iPad. Easy collection of comments, history and photos I have in my photo library.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have Bonsai Album software, too, and it has places to make notes, etc., but mostly I just annotate pictures in a easy code for the jpg file name so it lists by individual plant, then chronologically, and with basic info. I put all that on the photo, too, because when I load the whole directory on my phone which sorts files by different criteria than my PC and I can't see the file name, I can still see the photos in chronological order for historical purposes. Like this...
BRi & BBi 2017_1007 repotted.JPG
If you hover your mouse over the picture you can see the file name reflects the same info as annotated. (Species, variety, cultivar, date, data) Here, "Bougainvillea Blueberry Ice & Bougie Raspberry Ice 10/07/17 etc. Species in caps, varieties lower case except some characters are confusing in this type face so i is always lower case because caps look like lower case L. I have a word processor file with all the names and codes, probably 150 or so now.
BRi 2019_0309 wired.jpg
BRi 2021_0208 wired (2).jpg
BRi 2021_0208 wired (3).jpg
BRi 2021_0327 tip coloring.jpg
I only gradually began this system about 2015, and there was no place to file photos in the old days and we didn't carry cameras before the cell phone, so I don't really have a record other than yearly show photos, so trees that never made the cut in the first 15 years had no records at all. Some still don't. The system reflects my own personal way of referring to my plants, so some are proper names and some are common names and concessions to the practicalities of keeping it short when too many species start with the same character, like F, P and S. I try to keep the descriptions short, too, like "edit, hedge, tip, repot, wire, unwire, SQ for status quo, etc., but you make exceptions where advisable. Of course every camera has different formatting, so I have to reformat to a common size so the annotation fits. I tried to do similar things in the old days on word processors and spreadsheets and that was just too clumsy to work. It was work, and didn't do the job anyway. Thank God for handy cameras and software!

Necro96

Seedling
Reaction score
In the end, a journal is only as good as the one keeping it. I am way too uninterested in administrative chores to keep a journal. I take pictures and somewhere on a rainy wintersday I go through the pictures and toss them in the folder I keep for each tree. That is my admin :)

View attachment 363930
I also like this way, but as i am very messy, i like to organize more this hobby, but thanks for your photos :)

Necro96

Seedling
Reaction score
Aye, a before and after pic works well.

I think a journal has more potential to lie than be accurate.

Sorce
Well it depends on the point of view, but thanks for answering :)

Necro96

Seedling
Reaction score
No on Notion. I use Bonsai Album....an App on my iPad. Easy collection of comments, history and photos I have in my photo library.
Thank you, i will try it :)

Necro96

Seedling
Reaction score
I have Bonsai Album software, too, and it has places to make notes, etc., but mostly I just annotate pictures in a easy code for the jpg file name so it lists by individual plant, then chronologically, and with basic info. I put all that on the photo, too, because when I load the whole directory on my phone which sorts files by different criteria than my PC and I can't see the file name, I can still see the photos in chronological order for historical purposes. Like this...
View attachment 363970
If you hover your mouse over the picture you can see the file name reflects the same info as annotated. (Species, variety, cultivar, date, data) Here, "Bougainvillea Blueberry Ice & Bougie Raspberry Ice 10/07/17 etc. Species in caps, varieties lower case except some characters are confusing in this type face so i is always lower case because caps look like lower case L. I have a word processor file with all the names and codes, probably 150 or so now.
View attachment 363974
View attachment 363975
View attachment 363976
View attachment 363977
I only gradually began this system about 2015, and there was no place to file photos in the old days and we didn't carry cameras before the cell phone, so I don't really have a record other than yearly show photos, so trees that never made the cut in the first 15 years had no records at all. Some still don't. The system reflects my own personal way of referring to my plants, so some are proper names and some are common names and concessions to the practicalities of keeping it short when too many species start with the same character, like F, P and S. I try to keep the descriptions short, too, like "edit, hedge, tip, repot, wire, unwire, SQ for status quo, etc., but you make exceptions where advisable. Of course every camera has different formatting, so I have to reformat to a common size so the annotation fits. I tried to do similar things in the old days on word processors and spreadsheets and that was just too clumsy to work. It was work, and didn't do the job anyway. Thank God for handy cameras and software!
Wow, thanks for your reply, i will try that software :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well it depends on the point of view, but thanks for answering :)
IMHO, It isn't as much a point of view as it is a statement of fact. Kinda like most trees are green. It is not directed to a particular type of person or situation. :)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The software is excellent, cheap and cost-effective.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Exactly what I do.
Last year I started an index card/recipe box file noting soil components, containers, repots and any major work and wiring dates. The thought was to be able to take outside and jot notes w/dirty hands ect... as I don't usually want my computer out there. Worked well for me for a while but falling behind this time of year.

Top Bottom