Anything to worry about?

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just noticed these strange what looks like fungus growing at the base of my tree (Japanese White Pine)

Does anyone know what this is and if it is anything to worry about?

Thanks

Fred

Attachments

• 20200430_121646.jpg
    20200430_121646.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 93

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks like either slime mold or algae. Either way, it's an indicator that the soil is far too consistently wet--That's not great for pines...

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
That looks like either slime mold or algae. Either way, it's an indicator that the soil is far too consistently wet--That's not great for pines...
Thanks, that makes sense as we have had a lot of rain over the past few days. I'll cover the tree if it rains again. Should I just leave it or try to brush off?

Thanks again

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, that makes sense as we have had a lot of rain over the past few days. I'll cover the tree if it rains again. Should I just leave it or try to brush off?

Thanks again
I think your issues could be deeper than covering the soil. It's a symptom of a larger problem from what I can see in the photo. The soil itself looks very wet and dense. When's the last repotting for this tree? You can let it dry a bit, the algae will dry up, but will come back the next time you water or it rains. ...

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think it could probably do with a re-potting. I bought the tree around two years ago and I'm not sure on the last potting from when I got the tree. I did want to get a larger pot for the tree anyway but my plan was to wait until Autumn to re-pot as I understood this was a better time to re-pot japanese white pines. But do you think I should do this sooner rather than later?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it could probably do with a re-potting. I bought the tree around two years ago and I'm not sure on the last potting from when I got the tree. I did want to get a larger pot for the tree anyway but my plan was to wait until Autumn to re-pot as I understood this was a better time to re-pot japanese white pines. But do you think I should do this sooner rather than later?
unfortunately, I'm not a "pine person. "

Perhaps someone like Adair could chime in on repotting time. I suspect it's a bit too late to do it right now. As for whether it's an emergency, that depends on the top growth--does it appear weak, or yellowing, etc. Japanese white pine is not an easy tree in some climate.

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for you help, it is much appreciated. I think the growth seems OK - I have attached a couple of photos to try to show this

Attachments

• 20200429_083506.jpg
    20200429_083506.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200429_083449.jpg
    20200429_083449.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 41

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is the black slime that moss is born from.

Also a sign it has been kept a bit too wet.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't Repot!

Just scrape it and watch your water.

Do a post summer Solstice Repot at a full moon.

"Fall" can be late.

Sorce

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Don't Repot!

Just scrape it and watch your water.

Do a post summer Solstice Repot at a full moon.

"Fall" can be late.

Sorce
Thanks Sorce - I will do as you suggest! Looking forward to that full moon ;)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce - I will do as you suggest! Looking forward to that full moon ;)

You may be better served to wait for someone more experienced, I would, because WP is my fave, so of I had one, I'd learn some first.

Truth truth though....
Haven't lost a tree to summer repotting yet.
The ones I've lost spring repotting are uncountable.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of because of location.
What is your location?

Sorce

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Of because of location.
What is your location?

Sorce
I'm based in the UK, where I have read some say repotting can be done in early spring (which I have missed), or early Autumn. However most seem to be saying its better to wait til early Spring just as the buds appear - which is a long way off!

I guess I just need to wait to decide if the tree will be OK until early Spring to be re-potted. I think I may wait until (if!) this lockdown is over and take it in to a nursery for them to have a look at over here

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
in the UK,

I believe I remember this answered before, apologies, do you want me to shtik it in your profile?

I feel Summer is safer than Spring for you.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
One might try taking a bamboo skewer, or a thin chopstick, and poke holes every centimeter, all the way through the root ball to the bottom of the pot. This will help aerate the soil if it is compacting. I agree with RockM's diagnosis, an algae crust or slime mold, that is indicative of loss of air movement into the soil. I don't think the slime is a precursor to moss. While vaguely similar there is a different look to the sexual phase of moss. (the thallus phase). The black slime looks to me like Nostoc, a blue-green algae that is the harbinger of deteriorating conditions in a bonsai pot.

But the activity of aerating the soil will buy you as much as a year or so of time before repotting, if repeated every 3 or 4 months. So you can limp this tree along to a "safe window of time" for repotting.

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
I believe I remember this answered before, apologies, do you want me to shtik it in your profile?

I feel Summer is safer than Spring for you.

Sorce
Yes please , should be London, UK

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
One might try taking a bamboo skewer, or a thin chopstick, and poke holes every centimeter, all the way through the root ball to the bottom of the pot. This will help aerate the soil if it is compacting. I agree with RockM's diagnosis, an algae crust or slime mold, that is indicative of loss of air movement into the soil. I don't think the slime is a precursor to moss. While vaguely similar there is a different look to the sexual phase of moss. (the thallus phase). The black slime looks to me like Nostoc, a blue-green algae that is the harbinger of deteriorating conditions in a bonsai pot.

But the activity of aerating the soil will buy you as much as a year or so of time before repotting, if repeated every 3 or 4 months. So you can limp this tree along to a "safe window of time" for repotting.
Thanks Leo, that is very helpful. I just tried this approach with a thin chopstick. There were a few places where the chopstick went through relatively easier but others where the soil/small stones are very compact - is it ok to force through?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, you can use some force. You might be hitting a thick root, but usually the bamboo skewer will slide around the roots.

If you are able to get the skewer to penetrate through half or more of the surface of the pot, it is not a big deal if you can't get good penetration for 100% of the surface of the pot. So use some force, but you don't want to break the pot. No more than a gentle tap with a hammer.

Top Bottom