Aphid Eradication/Elimination

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would like to overwinter some fuchsias indoors over the winter. I've done this successfully with ficus, natal figs, etc in the basement under grow lights. The problem is the fuchsias are infested with aphids. I don't want to expose my tropical trees to aphids so I'm wondering... Is there a way of truly eliminating all the aphids so I can bring the plant indoors? I don't want to fight aphids indoors all winter because it's such a hassle. Any ideas? I'm thinking of starting with neem oil and soap, but that's not a guarantee. Anything else I can try with confidence?

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would like to overwinter some fuchsias indoors over the winter. I've done this successfully with ficus, natal figs, etc in the basement under grow lights. The problem is the fuchsias are infested with aphids. I don't want to expose my tropical trees to aphids so I'm wondering... Is there a way of truly eliminating all the aphids so I can bring the plant indoors? I don't want to fight aphids indoors all winter because it's such a hassle. Any ideas? I'm thinking of starting with neem oil and soap, but that's not a guarantee. Anything else I can try with confidence?

I think there is a bonsai mirai video about this on youtube. If I remember, you give the tree a pretty rough spray twice ish a day for a week then apply soap, then neem oil. Its basically like the mega dose of antibiotics combined with a long regimen to make sure what ever you missed does eventually die from something.

But I would find that video if I were you

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I spray everything with Bayer 3 in 1 before bringing them indoors.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think there is a bonsai mirai video about this on youtube. If I remember, you give the tree a pretty rough spray twice ish a day for a week then apply soap, then neem oil. Its basically like the mega dose of antibiotics combined with a long regimen to make sure what ever you missed does eventually die from something.

I'm not having any luck finding it. Do you have a link?

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Don't use Bayer 3-in-1 on a flowering tree. It contains imidaclorpid, which is neonicitinoid (will kill pollinators) and a systemic (so what you apply now will probably still be hanging out in the plant when it goes back outside and blooms.

I just had a very satisfying experience asphyxiating aphids with a vinegar/baking soda "co2 bomb." i used the method below, but sent to gas into a deflated garbage bag that the plant was in. Left it inflated for about 30 mins. All the bugs I could see were dead. I rinsed the bodies off in the shower, let dry, then followed up with a neem spray.

I'll spray again next week as a preventative measure.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I've seen that one, it was more specifically addressing spider mites, but much of the treatment should apply to aphids. I find mechanical removal gets a bulk of the work done vs aphids (I knock them off with toothpicks basically and some water/spray). Neem is usually my next step after that. I'm much more afraid of spider mites than aphids.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not having any luck finding it. Do you have a link?

W3rk is right, its not an aphid video but I would guess that it more or less applies. The actual mechanical stuff starts pretty late in the video but its work watching the entire thing, there is a lot of info that can be applied to most pests.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they get so bad you can't control em with hands and water, fire if you're gangster, I'd argue you need to use a preventative.

More attention, Predator Bugs, a different watering regimen, etc ....

We should take this art as serious as our food, if it was our only food plant, we wouldn't have this problem. Oh, yes I see the problem with that analogy, no one sees plants as food, brightly colored boxes, yes, plants, no.

Sorce

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks guys! I'm gonna take a multi-faceted approach to eliminate them. Gonna do my best not to use a systemic and see where I get. I love the CO2 gas approach and will start there. I doubt that will kill any eggs though... wish me luck :)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't have a real problem with aphids...spray 1-3 times with pesticide and then no more aphids. I did use a little red, round (1/2") thing that you split and put over a branch on the plant and then it never gets aphids. It does not kill them, they just don't like something about the smell or something. Aphid Chaser I think it is called.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have a real problem with aphids...spray 1-3 times with pesticide and then no more aphids. I did use a little red, round (1/2") thing that you split and put over a branch on the plant and then it never gets aphids. It does not kill them, they just don't like something about the smell or something. Aphid Chaser I think it is called.

I'll have to see if I can find those.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't use Bayer 3-in-1 on a flowering tree. It contains imidaclorpid, which is neonicitinoid (will kill pollinators) and a systemic (so what you apply now will probably still be hanging out in the plant when it goes back outside and blooms.

I just had a very satisfying experience asphyxiating aphids with a vinegar/baking soda "co2 bomb." i used the method below, but sent to gas into a deflated garbage bag that the plant was in. Left it inflated for about 30 mins. All the bugs I could see were dead. I rinsed the bodies off in the shower, let dry, then followed up with a neem spray.

I'll spray again next week as a preventative measure.

I read your post before but it just didn't sink in. That would be so easy to do without having any risk of harming the tree (no dry ice which I've seen be disastrous). I will now be placing this in my gardening tool belt.

Top Bottom