• 66B07F7D-DFA4-433A-B580-E82F6F4C8484.jpeg
    66B07F7D-DFA4-433A-B580-E82F6F4C8484.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 52

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
While you're waiting for a more comprehensive reply, pick them off with your fingers and crush them, or at least knock them off with a spray of water. If you have it, insecticidal soap works on aphids.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I left mine a few days ago, this morning there was only one tip still covered that I noticed while replacing a lady bug larvae from a sunflower.

Now there are no tips covered.

Tree's fine.

No Spray No Sweat.

Sorce

szxnx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
While you're waiting for a more comprehensive reply, pick them off with your fingers and crush them, or at least knock them off with a spray of water. If you have it, insecticidal soap works on aphids.
I don't have any spray but yeah - put it in my sink and showered the hell out of it

szxnx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I left mine a few days ago, this morning there was only one tip still covered that I noticed while replacing a lady bug larvae from a sunflower.

Now there are no tips covered.

Tree's fine.

No Spray No Sweat.

Sorce
Hope so - gave it a big wash idk if there is some left or not. I will monitor it and have separated it from the others. My juniper and elm seem to have none

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I avoid harsh chemicals at all costs. I’ve had success with horticultural soap mix of dish detergent and neem oil in suspension with warm water to make a surfactant.. in a spray bottle at entraps them and suffocates them just leave out of sun for a few days when you do to avoid transpiration issues w leaves coated.. I’ve also had succes releasing hordes of lady bugs to lay waste on aphids .. I have a bunch in the back yard , and praying mantiseseseseseses

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use dish detergent diluted in water. I spray on the leaves and then super gently rub both sides of the leaves, especially the shiny sticky ones. Then I rinse. Sometimes I do this a couple days and if they still persist I will use Neem.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Aphids are farmed by ants, so to get rid of ants...you can create kusamono with lavender, mint, lemongrass... and put them between the trees on a bench, or ....in your garden, plant some of those between the tree stands.

To prevent aphids, put garlic powder on your pots or use tomato leaves

szxnx

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Aphids are farmed by ants, so to get rid of ants...you can create kusamono with lavender, mint, lemongrass... and put them between the trees on a bench, or ....in your garden, plant some of those between the tree stands.

To prevent aphids, put garlic powder on your pots or use tomato leaves
Funny because i actually moves it right beside a lavender bush after i found the aphids without even knowing about that😂

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Malathion, works every time.
This has been flagged as a possible carcinogenic. Why use stuff like that when a bit of soap or neem oil works as well?

I'm not too fussy about aphids, they always show up and I use soap when it gets too bad but often the hoverflies and lady bugs are already there when I spot the aphids and I'll leave them solve the issue.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have lots of Mayhaws that are weak after collection and are susceptible to aphids. I just use neem oil mixed with dishwashing detergent. I walk around the garden with a spray bottle of that stuff and blast them away.
I also treated the ground to prevent ants. Gotta get rid of them aphid farmers or they bring them right back after the neem oil washes away.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have lots of Mayhaws that are weak after collection and are susceptible to aphids. I just use neem oil mixed with dishwashing detergent. I walk around the garden with a spray bottle of that stuff and blast them away.
I also treated the ground to prevent ants. Gotta get rid of them aphid farmers or they bring them right back after the neem oil washes away.
I was wondering about this recently, but couldn't find any (definitive) info - do the ants actually BRING aphids to a plant, or do they just sustain/protect them when they find some on a plant?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was wondering about this recently, but couldn't find any (definitive) info - do the ants actually BRING aphids to a plant, or do they just sustain/protect them when they find some on a plant?
Yes they physically carry them to the plant. When I lived in SoCal I never saw a single aphid if it wasn't accompanied by ants.

Ants actually store aphid eggs in the ant nest over the winter. When they hatch, the ants move the young aphids out to plants to feed. No, I'm not making this up.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I actually saw ants carrying aphids from one leaf to another. I also saw them tickle the aphids and collect the fluid. I have no evidence that they will bring aphids from one tree to another but I think if they can move them from one leaf to another, why not to another tree?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes they physically carry them to the plant. When I lived in SoCal I never saw a single aphid if it wasn't accompanied by ants.

Ants actually store aphid eggs in the ant nest over the winter. When they hatch, the ants move the young aphids out to plants to feed. No, I'm not making this up.
Ants are the coolest freaking thing, didn't know that part. But they are always impressing me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ants "farm" aphids for the honeydew (sugar secretions) the aphids produce. Ants also farm scale. Ants will carry both from neighboring plants to place on YOUR plants. All will be persistent pests with an apple bonsai--if you have ants on your crabapple, you have aphids and scale. Apple bonsai are insect magnets and require preventative spraying (or a systemic insecticide ) for stuff like this. I sold off my apple and crabapples because they were constantly getting some kind of insect attack--borers are another culprit with larger trunked specimens.

Top Bottom