aphids on deshojo

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has probably been asked a thousand times. Must be blind in not finding an answer right away.

My deshojo had aphids. Not many, but nevertheless. GF has put some flowers nearby that are covered with them right now.

Two questions:

- what is the best way to handle aphids?

- is it useful to start treatment while there is a huge colony nearby on those damn garden flowers?

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@leatherback has made a nice video..

greenguy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve used “Lost Coast Plant Therapy” against a multitude of soft bodied pests and powder mold at a farm & at home & had great results. I used it for diff plants/not maples but I dont think that matters. Bonus - It smells minty/citrusy & is organic 🙂

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 32750

Spray preventatively every other month in the growing season with malathion. It will nuke all pests. You can also spot treat with an insecticidal soap.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got any cute predator's around? I've used ladybugs recently, very precise killer, and they stay on the tree for the most part. Got comfortable enough to mate and lay eggs in less than a week.

Attachments

• PXL_20220423_232106762 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220423_232106762 (1).jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220429_220454955.MP_2 (1).jpg
    PXL_20220429_220454955.MP_2 (1).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 18

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is as a biological alternative nettle manure an option guys? Got nettles plenty in the garden.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the nearby flowers are infested, it's likely the same species just overflowing to your, second choice tree.

Spray them off your tree and keep the flower population in check so there's no spillover and you should be fine.

If an Autistic Retarded child walked into your yard, you would not shoot it.
That's how I feel about using cides on aphids.
Just politely turn them around and send them back to mum.

Sorce

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If the nearby flowers are infested, it's likely the same species just overflowing to your, second choice tree.

Spray them off your tree and keep the flower population in check so there's no spillover and you should be fine.

Sorce
Could aphids be cooked and eaten like Cream of Wheat?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I use Neem oil. If the infestation is caught early you can just blast them off with a spray of water from the hose.

EverThorn

Sapling
Reaction score
NA-East of da Northbound River, West of da Ponds.
USDA Zone
5a

Sorce
To add to this.. If you start using insecticides, you will most likely negate any beneficials that are building in response to those delicious dewcows. Using water spray mimics natural process, and gives the plants a break while the beneficial predator populations build, without having an extreme or residual impact on the txt area or specimen. Besides population overflows, another reason aphids will target a plant is because it is already having other issues. Many 'pest' species are drawn to weak and diseased plants, because they are easy targets.

Pesticides and chemicals should really be the last resort when dealing with any problems, not the first choice. Most chemicals add to the stress a plant is already experiencing, besides what I already mentioned.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I try to stay away from the “cides” and only use as very last resort. I try to rinse/wash away with water like others have mentioned and possibly add a couple drops of dish soap if needed. It also helps with some of the sticky “honeydew” residue. That is what has worked for me anyway.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ate a couple wingless green ones from my currant.....

Them black ones on the spruce though....

Looking like bedbugs.....

I shook em to the chooks.

Nothing like a few days almost 90F to boost a population.....there was so many!

Sorce

Top Bottom