Apple Issues

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a Adolfo crab apple I picked up last year. I did a lot of root work and removal 3 weeks ago. Cover with S. Moss. The leaves emerged and then stalled. Now they are discoloring. My guess is rust.

Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

• D166A6E0-84C2-4338-B149-AE725794DF72.jpeg
    D166A6E0-84C2-4338-B149-AE725794DF72.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 34
  • E4A7CC4D-BB1A-417F-BE0C-BC075578BED6.jpeg
    E4A7CC4D-BB1A-417F-BE0C-BC075578BED6.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 34

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Also, I sprayed with copper in November and dormancy oil is February.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was it leafed out when you worked it?
(Reread sounds no)

I reckon the work may have moved it along too fast.

I gotta new crab from a friend last end of summer. Had some, I reckon wooly adgelid (sp) so I cut it late. That made it come out earlier than everything else, susceptible to frost.

Work tends to start processes that wouldn't have otherwise started. This leaves them in a "confused" state that I consider more dangerous than frost damage, because it's not cut and dry, clearly visible. Worse, it gives us a fake spring, which can go on to kill the rest of our collection.

Best to wait till they put whole leaves out before working them. But not if last year's late work made them come out early.

Don't work late. Don't work early!

I repotted my other crab in summer to no ill effect. Summer is safer.

Sorce

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Was it leafed out when you worked it?
(Reread sounds no)

I reckon the work may have moved it along too fast.

I gotta new crab from a friend last end of summer. Had some, I reckon wooly adgelid (sp) so I cut it late. That made it come out earlier than everything else, susceptible to frost.

Work tends to start processes that wouldn't have otherwise started. This leaves them in a "confused" state that I consider more dangerous than frost damage, because it's not cut and dry, clearly visible. Worse, it gives us a fake spring, which can go on to kill the rest of our collection.

Best to wait till they put whole leaves out before working them. But not if last year's late work made them come out early.

Don't work late. Don't work early!

I repotted my other crab in summer to no ill effect. Summer is safer.

Sorce
The buds were swelling to the point that they were a few days from opening. As far as I know, no work was done in the fall. I cut quite a few roots off the bottom. I worked my way up to a point where I had 6 roots spreading out radially.
I have 4 more in the ground, they are two weeks behind this one. This one was in a pot in an unheated garage. Going forward I will wait till later in the season to work on it (if it survives 😂)

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Too early for rust I believe. Does look most like frost damage.
Thanks.
I’m right by the bay. If I drive 2 miles inland to the pine barrens I’ve seen as much as 15 -20 degree difference. Strange area, we could have gotten a frost despite none in the forecast.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The buds were swelling to the point that they were a few days from opening

I'm completely against "buds swelling" as a time, because it's technically not. No matter how many
folks see a pattern of beginning and continuing to a set point, it does not always work this way, so I find it highly damaging to believe it as a legitimate thing. That said, it is actually impossible to know how many days it may have been till they open.

have 4 more in the ground, they are two weeks behind this one.

This is also importantly backwards in that, the truth is this one is 2 weeks ahead of those. If there actually was a "2 weeks" of course.

Please don't read this as petty, I believe this is very important information.

Sorce

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm completely against "buds swelling" as a time, because it's technically not. No matter how many
folks see a pattern of beginning and continuing to a set point, it does not always work this way, so I find it highly damaging to believe it as a legitimate thing. That said, it is actually impossible to know how many days it may have been till they open.

This is also importantly backwards in that, the truth is this one is 2 weeks ahead of those. If there actually was a "2 weeks" of course.

Please don't read this as petty, I believe this is very important information.

Sorce
Here I was operating for my whole life thinking nature was the only thing that wasn’t subjective 😜
No offense taken, I always value additional input.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Adolfo crab apple I picked up last year. I did a lot of root work and removal 3 weeks ago. Cover with S. Moss. The leaves emerged and then stalled. Now they are discoloring. My guess is rust.

Thanks for any guidance.
I agree with Aeast and Penumbra. It looks like frostbite to me! It should be fine.
Thụ Thoại

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have you guys ever gotten frost damage when temps didn’t go down to 32? Say if temps were 34-36? Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you guys ever gotten frost damage when temps didn’t go down to 32? Say if temps were 34-36? Thanks!

I reckon you'll find a lot of microclimate variables.

I just kicked myself in the ass the other day for not having an actual thermometer, thermometer? I don't even know what it's called! Fitting to get 2!

Sorce

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I reckon you'll find a lot of microclimate variables.

I just kicked myself in the ass the other day for not having an actual thermometer, thermometer? I don't even know what it's called! Fitting to get 2!

Sorce
Lol, I have 3 indoor and no outdoor one. I reckon two sales about to happen.

Top Bottom