Apple seeds sprouting

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have taken a bag of apple seeds out of the freezer, and after this past week one is sprouting its first root. I live in Pennsylvania so it is almost winter time and is getting very cold. What should I do with the germinated seed? How am I going to make it survive the winter indoors. My window sills don't get to much light.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Put it back in the freezer until March? It's too early to be germinating seedlings for hardy trees. You should look up stratification time and count back from March / April as to when to start stratifying them. Your best bet now is a grow light and the sunniest window you can find. I germinated these crabapples around end of January last year inside and kept them under a grow light until early spring. I don't know how they would have fared had I germinated them as early as you have yours germinating.

2019.02.28.jpg

They became this three-tree planting by end of summer:

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Rn I have them sitting in a wrapped up paper towel in my closet to give them a warm place. How long will they be okay left in their after sprouting? Also, can I put them under a strong desk lamp when I put them in cups? (I use it for my fish tank and fish tank plants) Do you guys think its possible for this seed that already sprouted to survive until spring time when I can put it outside?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In the closet, they will die pretty quickly I would imagine. Once the eneegy in the seeds has worn out, the plant is relying on the cotyledons to photosynthesize until the first true leaves form. In a closet or dark space there will be no enegy for the plant to photosynthesize.

A window sill is your best bet. I used a simple desk lamp with a grow light last year and had acceptable results but your seeds are germinating a full 3 months prior to mine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They'll live if you want em too!

Sorce

Top Bottom