Apple tree bud back

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Domestica?.. like a Culinary , “paradise” or “Johnny”? They back-bud like barbarians!

Or is it a specific species?... it APPEARS to be a Domestica.

🤓

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I honestly can't remember what it is. If it ever fruits again maybe we will find out. If you say domestica I'll roll with it. Its grafted but all the buds seem to be above the graft.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh if it’s grafted.. then it’s specific!

Domesticas just.... HAPPEN.. normally.. windfalls... animal droppings...

That’s because, I believe, Malus has a HUGE genetic spectrum to work with.. so from seed, even “specialized apple varieties” are likely to produce a standard... APPLE tree... Malus “domestica”.

So when Cultivators would GET those NON-johnnies... and their fruit was desirable, they took the fast track to Graft/clone city and spread their fruits to fruit lovers everywhere! So exciting!!!!!!!! 🤓🤓

..but anyways..

If it’s grafted... it’s special... make sure you TELL it that, too..

🤓

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good info. And now I know the species, special. Lol. No, but actually I checked its old trellis and...16172144426104566167162148003003.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Good info. And now I know the species, special. Lol. No, but actually I checked its old trellis and...View attachment 364800

Yes, that is the culinary apple 'Pound Sweet' , cultivar names should be in single quotes. I'm the nomenclature police. 😉 Just teasing. Culinary apples are good as bonsai, the flowers make nice spring displays, but especially for small trees we remove the most, if not all spent flowers so the fruit won't form. The reason is the fruit will not dwarf with the rest of the tree. So the 12 inch tall mini apple tree can end up with a full size normal apple. This can be stressful for a little tree. So with bonsai size apples, we reduce the number of fruits proportionate to the size of the tree.

Your 'Pound Sweet' is likely grafted. You may want to air layer a portion of the top off to get your 'Pound Sweet' on its own roots. After doing so, the understock may send up shoots. The understock will likely be a different apple variety, usually chosen for disease resistance. Usually the understock will resemble a crab apple with white flowers and smaller fruit.

Top Bottom