Appreciate Your Input

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey folks I am teaching a bonsai soil class for PBS and want your input.

One thing I would like to make a point about is the variability of bonsai soil mixes due to local climate considerations.

Who better to ask than our world wide Bonsai Nut society!

If you are so inclined to offer up your special bonsai soil mix it would be greatly appreciated.

Just list your ingredients with a percentage and perhaps your growing zone and location.

BONUS: if you have a bonsai soil pro tip you would like to share that would be great!

I know some of you have soil mixes, that if shared, would result in a death sentence so DO NOT give me those. I have a wife and children.
???

Thanks in advance BNutters your the best!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Before I talk about mix, let me just share the two golden rules that many people miss:

(1) All mix HAS to be sifted to get rid of the dust/fines. Skipping this step defeats the whole purpose of trying to have a free-draining mix
(2) Piece size is really important. Smaller trees, smaller pieces. Smaller pots, smaller pieces. Base your piece size on how quickly the soil dries out - you want roots to stay damp without being in standing water.

Different species will have specific needs - particularly if they are acid-loving species like azaleas, camellias, etc.

Classic "easy" mix is
33% pumice
33% lava
34% akadama

Easy acid mix is to swap out akadama for kanuma.

Though I will freely admit to using:
90% pumice
10% sifted pine bark fines
for my conifers. The reason why I use a little bark is to maintain a little more humidity in the soil for my trees that stand in full hot sun in the summer (zone 10). Pumice is also really cheap here.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've been using lava and pumice....lava, pumice and haydite....DE, haydite and Turface...all with fine results.
I think though, that next repotting season, I'm gonna try adding some sifted bark to the mix.

And always a layer of chopped sphagnum on top.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Interesting stuff about the Danish clay cat litter, it matches my observations here too. It holds a lot of water, almost detrimentally depending on the circumstances. Bougies don't like it and I have definitely over watered even in small mame size pots throughout summer. It blew me away I was seeing algae in our heat and wind with once a day watering. Next season they are going in akadama and lava mostly. Zeolite and cat litter seems to definitely be a mistake for Bougies, both hold lots of water.
I do like it though, especially for thirsty trees and grow out pots plus you can see if it is still holding water and you cna play with ratios anyway. Freezing isn't an issue for me though so I found that part quite interesting.

I either use sanicat with lava or akadama with lava, maybe I'll throw in orchid bark or kanuma if it is on hand. I wish I could get pumice but guess I can always order it in.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that the pot that your tree is in also has a lot of bearing on this discussion. I'm partial to using very shallow pots, so most of my thirsty trees that are in those are in 100% akadama. I also use Kanuma on a regular basis for trees like beech and azaleas, I'm going to try kanuma out on quince next season.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Inorganic - 5 m silica based gravel - 7 to 9 parts
Organic - aged sifted compost - 3 to 1 part

If you have enogh experience it can go to 3 mm silica based gravel.

To counter for a thrsty tree - Say Tamarind

Half the inorganic - 5 mm silica based gravel
and use - 5 mm crushed red porous earthenware brick
Tropics here. 39 years using the above.
Need to see proof ?

Enjoy the glory.
Good Day
Anthony

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey folks I am teaching a bonsai soil class for PBS and want your input.

One thing I would like to make a point about is the variability of bonsai soil mixes due to local climate considerations.

Who better to ask than our world wide Bonsai Nut society!

If you are so inclined to offer up your special bonsai soil mix it would be greatly appreciated.

Just list your ingredients with a percentage and perhaps your growing zone and location.

BONUS: if you have a bonsai soil pro tip you would like to share that would be great!

I know some of you have soil mixes, that if shared, would result in a death sentence so DO NOT give me those. I have a wife and children.
???

Thanks in advance BNutters your the best!
There as many recipes for soil mix as there are people at this forum. There are also a great disparity on availability.

I have given lectures on soil many times and find that putting together visual aids and a handout sheet on where to source the material locally and with prices is very helpful. Also as has been pointed out screening and particle size is most important. I have this plastic divided container that I use when doing soil lectures. It is very convenient.

Top to bottom, left to right.
Pumice, My shohin mix - sifted mocha lava, 1/8 red and black lava
1/4 red lava, charcoal, growstones
small akadama, larger akadama, and My larger mix - sifted mocha lava
DSC_00032.JPG

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My pro tip is to feed both the plant as well as the soil microbiome. I could write a book on the subject, but it can be distilled down to the following:
- the microbiome protects the plant in harsh conditions (drought, fires, cold, over watering).
- the microbiome defends the plant from pathogens, mainly the rootsystem.
- the microbiome provides the plant with nutrients.

Never, never ever forget what's really keeping yamadori alive in nature: that same microbiome.

Feed it fibers (bark, wood, paper, cardboard, hay, flax, hemp, oatmeal, you name it.. but never bread or other yeasted/fermented products.)
Feed it carbohydrates (honey, sugar, maple syrup, corn syrup, other sources of glucose, fructose, starches or sucrose).
Do this moderately though, a tablespoon per month at most.
Both are carbohydrate sources by the way, but they are used differently by microbes. Most bacteria suck at breaking down fibers and most fungi are too slow to eat sugars unless they poor down on them.

That same tablespoon can also act as a test: throw some of the stuff on the soil in spring, the biome will latch out and pull it back into the soil to turn it in mycelium (extending effective surface area), into bacteria producing a variety of chemicals and antibiotics, or feed the plant directly. Honey is processed within 14 days in a container with a healthy system. It doesn't evaporate, it's the microbes doing their job.

That combined approach, of using the right soil and providing the right conditions has caused a very high survival rate for conifers. Double flushes on single flush pines, during the first season in a pot. If restoration is the goal, then restore the entire system. I think we could do better than nature, since these basic elements are so readily available for us.

The importance of this is often being overlooked, something of less importance. But if a tree lives 150 years without applied nutrients and only from supportive bacteria and fungi, then it might be more important than the choice of substrate.

Interesting stuff about the Danish clay cat litter, it matches my observations here too. It holds a lot of water, almost detrimentally depending on the circumstances. Bougies don't like it and I have definitely over watered even in small mame size pots throughout summer. It blew me away I was seeing algae in our heat and wind with once a day watering. Next season they are going in akadama and lava mostly. Zeolite and cat litter seems to definitely be a mistake for Bougies, both hold lots of water.
I do like it though, especially for thirsty trees and grow out pots plus you can see if it is still holding water and you cna play with ratios anyway. Freezing isn't an issue for me though so I found that part quite interesting.
I'm a big fan of the clay litter. It's cheap and I can pick it up at local stores, six bags at a time! And it's pretty nice that it holds the water without leaking a lot. This means the substrate, even though it's coarse, still keeps the roots damp. I'm doing some tests with mixtures of the stuff, because of the large particle size. Perlite and lava rock are good combinations, 50/50 akadama/litter is working well too. It's problematic though when there's still organic soil in the rootball. Then it tends to get - and stay mushy, like with every other inorganic substrate.
Another downside is that pigeons, doves and every corvid in the area, seem to like it for breakfast. First they steal the moss, then they feast on the litter.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Wires_Guy_wires ,

one for you, fired hand rolled balls and aged compost [ no weed seed ]
Plant is a local Ficus p, does not like wet soil or much soil.
The balls are porous.
A 9 to 1 compost mix.

Presently getting ready to try 3 mm fired eartheware balls.
Good Day
Anthony

From the lush foliage not sure if it needs sugar though?

Ficus p2 b.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Anthony We have large ficus and other house plants growing in only the pellets ;-) They make a good bottom layer for every potted plant.
Not sure if they are hand rolled though. I hope not! Because every office in our country has plants standing in those pellets. We can get a bath tub full of it for around 20 bucks. I hope manual labor isn't that cheap anywhere in the world.
What's so weird about these pellets is that they are porous, but they float for days. They're clay colored on the outside, but black stone-colored on the inside. For some reason I remember trying to eat them as a kid, thinking they could be chewing gum, I can't recommend it. In horticulture they're used for hydroponics and mainly as a bottom layer in containers because they allow good drainage.

I have used them as a bonsai soil component, but only after crushing them. Then I learned about the cat litter thing we have going on here in Europe. Amazing stuff.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have this plastic divided container that I use when doing soil lectures. It is very convenient.
Excellent idea! I am going to steal that for sure.
ALL GREAT INFORMATION! I knew you folks would be a great resource. Thanks I appreciate it and keep em coming. I am taking notes.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Wires_Guy_wires ,

Leca, might be using a chemical that reacts at a given temperature.
or a controlled heating.
They also have 4 mm to 1 mm material used for lawns.

We have used the 5 mm for years, as silica based gravel and
crushed earthenware goes.
So we thought to experiment and hand rolled balls.

The trees down here responded very well to 3 mm in silica
and red brick. So, curiosity 3 mm rolled balls.
Will do enough for a 30.5 cm tall tree and make a pot for
the effort.

Should mention cannot use sugar ------ ants / aphids.

The idea was to simplify, get Lush/Health and spend
more time on Design.
Thus the idea about the Ball Bearing Principle , is working
out exceptionally well.

These hand rolled balls don't really float.
No air spaces like the Leca.
Good Day
Anthony

May just go all this way - rolled balls.
Have sped up the production process.

ficus p2.jpg

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There as many recipes for soil mix as there are people at this forum. There are also a great disparity on availability.

Very true. And all of those recipes are correct for them.

The one piece that’s often missing in soil recommendations and soil discussions is the “Why”?

Sometimes, 100% pumice is the best mix. Why?
Sometimes,100% perlite is the best mix. Why?
Sometimes, adding pine bark is helpful. Why?

Giving people the mix recipes and then telling why each soil mix is good for a particular situation helps them choose the mix that’s best for their particular situation.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AZ,

you can probably mention the use of hydroponic balls.
Our idea for the use came from a lady in Denmark,
As you know we tested glass marbles and 3 mm spheres
obtained through Amazon.

I believe more research on your side should be encouraged.
And Leca has them in 5/4/3 mm spheriods.
Have a great time.
Good Day
Anthony

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Anthony Very familiar with these when used in a hydroponic application. Not so much in bonsai. More research it is!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think I contributed to a soil compendium somewhere, where we discussed most soil components and their positive and negative sides.

From my own experience in horticulture, some things I haven't seen being mentioned. Either because I missed them, or because they weren't mentioned.
- Perlite - awesome stuff, does it all and better than akadama. But light weight.
- Vermiculite - Good seedling starter top layer, terrible for soils.
- Beech chips - Break down very slow, but for all the rest they're the same as pine bark but cheaper.
- Peat moss - Funny component with varying effects. Holds water extremely well when damp, repels water when extremely dry.
- Charcoal - Now, this is a funny one. There's a lot of miscommunication and myths about it. Regular charcoal leaks phenolic compounds that can damage a tree OR signal a tree to grow (like after a fire): It can do good and bad. Activated charcoal does the opposite: it soaks up hormones, phenolic compounds, nutrients and everything alike: good for repotting damage control. Horticultural charcoal is either one, or both, or neither and nobody can tell me which one so I don't believe in it. Now charcoal works like the ways above when it's dry and when it's wet. You could possibly have a ticking time bomb (holding dangerous compounds which release when broken down) or have a leaking time bomb (releasing damaging compounds from the start). It's ambiguous stuff. In a lab setting, plants are usually recultured within 6 weeks to limit the effects of activated charcoal. It can soak up to 100% of free auxins, making them unavailable in a solution. There's much more to be told, but that's the summary.
- Coco coir / Coco bricks / Coco flakes - friggin suuuuuuck. Sometimes they're washed with sea water during production, which means you have to soak it 3 times with fresh water before use. It's cheap, airy and good retention capabilities but I just can't work with it. It looks like potting soil but it acts way different than potting soil. I'm raised in a potting soil household, and that's how I'm going to raise my kids.
- Rock wool - Yeah, I don't know either. It works in horticulture but you can't remove it anymore when roots penetrate it. It will stay in the soil for around 40 years and it will not break down a lot.
- Polymers - Someone, some day, will ask about these. They work for ornamental flowers and thats about it. They expand and retract, causing constant disturbance. They are transparent, causing algal blooms and they don't take frost or heat very well. When they do break down, they will turn into a mush. Clogging everything. Until they dry up again, acting like a glue. I'm not against them, I use agar on a daily basis.. But not for bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that the pot that your tree is in also has a lot of bearing on this discussion. I'm partial to using very shallow pots, so most of my thirsty trees that are in those are in 100% akadama. I also use Kanuma on a regular basis for trees like beech and azaleas, I'm going to try kanuma out on quince next season.

The combination of Judy's post, bananaman's post and Shinjuku's post are the true keys. What is the purpose you are trying to accomplish. The combination of species, climate, pot shape, and watering routine should be determining our soil mixture. Ok, at least that is what I do.

To go along with bananaman's display of medium, perhaps a display of various pot sizes and shapes, ie: large to tiny; deep to shallow.

Good luck!

Top Bottom