Apprenticeships in Japan?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
"You're wrong about that other stuff. The Japanese don't expect you to know anything. They don't want apprentices who think they know anything."

Well, um if you know someone who can help with a bonsai apprenticeship in Japan, odds are you know a bit about bonsai and have been exposed to it. Odds are also that you have worked with someone with bonsai experience PRIOR to going to Japan.
Well, that's true RockM. But the point is, they want the apprentice to do things the Master's way.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Does anyone know the age to be an apprentice in Japan/America ? Would it just be the legal age to move out or is there any regulations?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Does anyone know the age to be an apprentice in Japan/America ? Would it just be the legal age to move out or is there any regulations?
I know Boon took a pretty young apprentice, Kaya, who wasn't far out of high school. I'd imagine that'd be the age-floor for most as a full-on, live-in apprentice. I don't see why you couldn't attend an intensive at a younger age though. There's nothing formalized and it would all need to be worked out with the pro you're studying with.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are no "regulations" when it comes to apprenticeships in America. I don't think there are any in Japan, for that matter. It takes a will and a way. You can't just sign up to become an official apprentice, although taking courses with local bonsai experts (Bjorn, Michael Hagedorn, Ryan Neal, Bill Valavanis and other U.S. bonsai professionals) is probably a good way to start. Those contacts can also introduce you to contacts in Japan. Many started their bonsai careers with professional introductions from U.S. bonsai experts to bonsai nursery owners in Japan. I know Ryan Neal kept writing one such nursery a letter a month for years. He began as a teenager I think...He got an introduction to the Japanese professional (Kimura) and that led to his apprenticeship in Japan with Kimura.

Here's the story-worth a listen:

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We have not heard from Bjorn since the hurricane's storms tore through his state.

Bjorn posted a new Bonsai-U video yesterday, and the announcement email mentioned that he's heading to US Nationals. Could have been pre-scheduled, but seems like an encouraging sign

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
There are no "regulations" when it comes to apprenticeships in America. I don't think there are any in Japan, for that matter. It takes a will and a way. You can't just sign up to become an official apprentice, although taking courses with local bonsai experts (Bjorn, Michael Hagedorn, Ryan Neal, Bill Valavanis and other U.S. bonsai professionals) is probably a good way to start. Those contacts can also introduce you to contacts in Japan. Many started their bonsai careers with professional introductions from U.S. bonsai experts to bonsai nursery owners in Japan. I know Ryan Neal kept writing one such nursery a letter a month for years. He began as a teenager I think...He got an introduction to the Japanese professional (Kimura) and that led to his apprenticeship in Japan with Kimura.

Here's the story-worth a listen:
Definitely will watch that video again . I remember it when I watched it last year

Top Bottom