Approach Graft on Pine

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Just thought that I would share a few pics of an approach graft that I did on a small JBP a few weeks ago. I'm trying a graft using this years first flush of growth. (The green stem) Not the hardened off growth from last year. My thought is that this type of growth, coupled with the thinnest notch possible in the trunk will allow for the most rapid healing and fission of the graft. Might be totally wrong on this but I figured it would be fun to see what happened. If anything I'll learn not to do this again. Just for scale, the trunk is about 1 1/4 inch diameter.image.jpgimage.jpg

Cheers

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
you may want something a little more secure then plastic wrap-Maybe some wire or zip ties or something

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is this a good time for approach grafting? My fir "Spartacus" most definitely needs more lower branches and be reduced in height, (it's collected about 1 or 2 months ago and growing nicely).

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You can technically do an approach graft any time of year. I find the best time is early spring before the sap starts moving to much. Fall is also a good time to graft but you should protect from hard freeze , else it's a good chance the graft will fail. Though I haven't done an approach graft in fall so I'm not sure how much protecting it would need if any.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That wrap appears to be just like the Japanese grafting tape that Boon uses. I have a large roll. Works just fine.

I've never used the green portion on the scion. Always used the portion that's at lease one year old.

It will be interesting to see how your's takes.

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks Giga for the clarification. I did please a wire over the stretch wrap. I didn't have a pic of that point. Good point to clarify.

Frankp999, thanks for the suggestion of grafting nails. I have used nails as we'll as small stainless screws and they have worked great. For this app I was able to get a tight fit with only a wire and wrap for cushion.

Thanks for the interest and replies.

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
That wrap appears to be just like the Japanese grafting tape that Boon uses. I have a large roll. Works just fine.

I've never used the green portion on the scion. Always used the portion that's at lease one year old.

It will be interesting to see how your's takes.

Adair, I also have only ever used one year old wood for approach grafts, but I was always curious if this would work. I figure if it fails then at least I know not to try it on a tree I like, and just maybe I can save someone else from making a bad decision on a tree they like.

Thanks for your response.
Cheers.

Top Bottom