Approach grafting JM, dormancy

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tried searching the forum but could not find the answer.

When approach grafting new roots to a JM, does it matter if either the target tree or the seedling to graft is dormant?

I ask because the seedlings I have in mind might not have woken up when it is time to repot the tree itself.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I think root grafting is better performed when both donor and recipient are dormant or just breaking dormancy. The timing is essentially the same as when you would re-pot, though I tend to do it slightly earlier if I'm planning to perform thread grafting as part of the process... less chance of swelling buds on the scion getting damaged while passing through the drilled hole.

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think root grafting is better performed when both donor and recipient are dormant or just breaking dormancy. The timing is essentially the same as when you would re-pot, though I tend to do it slightly earlier if I'm planning to perform thread grafting as part of the process... less chance of swelling buds on the scion getting damaged while passing through the drilled hole.
Thanks! Btw, is it important to scratch the donor a bit to expose the cambium, if doing an approach graft?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Dav4 , I've limited experience and have followed the advice you've provided in my few attempts. Recently I've watched a Japanese YouTube video where they thread grafted in what looks like late spring after defoliating. I also spoke to someone today at the show who suggested Bjorn told them to follow simular timing for a trident. Has anyone here tried thread grafting after leaf? Would certainly provide a larger window.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 , I've limited experience and have followed the advice you've provided in my few attempts. Recently I've watched a Japanese YouTube video where they thread grafted in what looks like late spring after defoliating. I also spoke to someone today at the show who suggested Bjorn told them to follow simular timing for a trident. Has anyone here tried thread grafting after leaf? Would certainly provide a larger window.
I did that once with a palmatum… the branch never pushed new foliage and was dead the following spring. A trident would be stronger and be more likely to push a second flush and keep the branch alive. I might give that a whirl this year!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not clear whether you intend to approach graft or thread graft but either way dormant seedlings onto an about to grow tree sounds ideal to me. If the tree has woken the seedlings will not be too far behind and in both grafts you have the luxury of time as both parties stay alive until graft union forms.
I would go ahead as planned.

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I currently read 'Bonsai Maples' by Andrea Meriggioli, it advices (when you already have leafs) to defoliate the scion two weeks before the thread graft. This is so that the petioles have time to dry out and fall off, and also so that new buds are not yet activated. Page 267 English version.

I have not tried it myself

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not clear whether you intend to approach graft or thread graft but either way dormant seedlings onto an about to grow tree sounds ideal to me. If the tree has woken the seedlings will not be too far behind and in both grafts you have the luxury of time as both parties stay alive until graft union forms.
I would go ahead as planned.

I will decide whether to approach or thread, or do it at all when I repot. I haven't seen the roots below surface yet. Thanks!

Top Bottom