Approach grafting

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is it ok to approach graft a still green shoot such as this? Or should I wait for it to turn woody? Thanks!

20210616_184219.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good question, I plan to attempt one next year on my Hornbeam. ....so I'm listening to advice too.
Is that Acer Rubrum?

It is. This one.

20201122_081108.jpg

Graft will be in the upper left, right under the chop. I was originally thinking thread graft, but maybe approach grafting it would be better.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is. This one.

View attachment 381003

Graft will be in the upper left, right under the chop. I was originally thinking thread graft, but maybe approach grafting it would be better.
I like the trees nice simple bones....will make a nice tree.

I really like that pot too....sucker for Teal.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is. This one.

View attachment 381003

Both will work. The thread graft is a better choice aesthetically in my opinion. Approach grafts are simpler to prepare for in my experience, however the scar is more difficult to conceal and the results can be less predictable.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Both green and older woody shoots will graft. Just be careful cutting the back of the green one. They are soft and very easy to cut right through.

Top Bottom