Approaching Strangers for Airlayers?

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What has been your experience asking a complete stranger to airlayer their tree? I pass a house on the way to my sister's that has probably a dozen giant JMs growing around their property with plenty of nice branches to layer. Not gonna lie, part of me says just take the layers and nobody will be the wiser, but I am resisting that urge. I'm hoping he sees it as free cleaning service as the branches are growing over the sidewalk.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is as many answers as there is different kinds of people.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is as many answers as there is different kinds of people.
True that. But NYers tend to be a little standoffish, especially with weird people/requests. The flip side is metropolitan NYers are not likely to have a shotgun or point it at someone cutting their tree without permission.

Truth is I was eyeing a gorgeous JM and the owner of the house turned out to be a friend of a friend. He was trying to get into bonsai and is more than happy to let me rip his tree apart so long as I take a layer for him and help him out. More than happy, but not sure how much of a help I will be. I'm going to need a ladder for that one.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What has been your experience asking a complete stranger to airlayer their tree? I pass a house on the way to my sister's that has probably a dozen giant JMs growing around their property with plenty of nice branches to layer. Not gonna lie, part of me says just take the layers and nobody will be the wiser, but I am resisting that urge. I'm hoping he sees it as free cleaning service as the branches are growing over the sidewalk.
Been there, done that. It is much easier to ask for a cutting. Most people don't like the idea of having an air layer on their trees for one reason or another.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't buy it from Amazon of course....but...
Capture+_2023-02-03-07-38-11.png

Offer $.

Sorce

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
so i use to metal detect, and getting permission to metal detect old yards and areas was hard but if you entice them ( hey i do metal detecting and i see this location is an old spot, id gladly share what i find with you ) most the time they got excited after i showed them pictures of things that i have found in the past.

Same principle with this , Hey i do Bonsai and JM is one of the best trees for it i can do a thig called air layering, where it doesnt hurt the tree but i can take a piece of it and make it into beautiful bonsai material. then show some pictures of bonsai and offer to air layer them a piece and make them a bonsai to keep as a thank you.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." Blanche DuBois in "A Streetcar Named Desire" by Tennessee Williams.

Top Bottom