Appropriate fertilizer dosing for injection system?

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I recently started using a Hozon fertilizer injection system and am trying to figure out the appropriate dosing. My goal is to use it for every watering so that my trees are always getting a constant low level of fertilizer. For those of you with a similar setup, what dosing ratio do you shoot for? For example, if you normally give a dose of full strength once a week do you instead shoot for a 1/7th dose since you are giving it every day? More? Less?

I'm looking for a horticultural answer rather than a give XX dose answer. I can see arguments in favor of higher or lower dosing. For example, when I use regular liquid fertilizer, I prewater and then give fertilizer, but this does not apply to an injection system since all the water has dilute fertilizer in it.

Thanks,
Lars

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently started using a Hozon fertilizer injection system and am trying to figure out the appropriate dosing. My goal is to use it for every watering so that my trees are always getting a constant low level of fertilizer. For those of you with a similar setup, what dosing ratio do you shoot for? For example, if you normally give a dose of full strength once a week do you instead shoot for a 1/7th dose since you are giving it every day? More? Less?

I'm looking for a horticultural answer rather than a give XX dose answer. I can see arguments in favor of higher or lower dosing. For example, when I use regular liquid fertilizer, I prewater and then give fertilizer, but this does not apply to an injection system since all the water has dilute fertilizer in it.

Thanks,
Lars

I mix the dosing at 5x strength per the size of my injection container which is 1/2 gallon. I do this every 4th month all year. This seems to handle my pest issues. If I have any hardcore outbreaks i treat those trees separately.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I mix the dosing at 5x strength per the size of my injection container which is 1/2 gallon. I do this every 4th month all year. This seems to handle my pest issues. If I have any hardcore outbreaks i treat those trees separately.

Are you putting an antifungal in your injector?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been injecting for 6 or more years. The fertilizer I use has the mixture level right on the package for 17:1 ratio. I'm curious why all the fuss?
Are you using cold water soluble injector fertilizer or liquid fertilizer? There is a huge difference.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been injecting for 6 or more years. The fertilizer I use has the mixture level right on the package for 17:1 ratio. I'm curious why all the fuss?
Are you using cold water soluble injector fertilizer or liquid fertilizer? There is a huge difference.

No fuss, it is a simple siphon injection at a 16:1 ratio. I was just wondering if people typically split up a once weekly dose into 7 parts to accommodate daily watering or if they scale up/down.

Top Bottom