Appropriate pot selection

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Would a pot with a water scene be okay with a japanese white pine?

Attachments

• JWP.JPG
    JWP.JPG
    567.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 12662697_896966217088472_3253576132650555022_n.jpg
    12662697_896966217088472_3253576132650555022_n.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 84

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
The other side.

Attachments

• 12744383_896966300421797_2281141498236718994_n.jpg
    12744383_896966300421797_2281141498236718994_n.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 79

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the shape of the pot is more important then the print on it, i can barely see the print but the shape is totally (wel, maynbe not that much) different as the original. I guess japan is surrounded by water so it's logical, but it's like comparing apples and oranges. If the pot was purple with pink spots (ánd a water scene) it would not be okey, you know what im saying :)

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If the size/shape is right, why not? It's a nice pot, but may be a touch deep and perhaps a bit masculine for the tree however.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah i also thought it was deep, but i had already brabbled so much today.

DariusB

Seedling
Reaction score
I mean no disrespect,
Because who the F am I?
I will just offer (not that it matters) Imo the pot looks worth more than the tree.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the tree and pot are both quite nice, and i think it matters how it looks and not how much it costs (I can say this because im broke as hell ^^)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
FWIW and IMHO, NO evergreen deserves an illustrated pot, and for the most part no bonsai wants to be planted in one. The mark of the amatur bonsiest. Possible exception is feminine mame/shohin trees. No others!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
White pines are mountain trees. Probably out of character to have a coastal or water scene with one.

There is a bit of an art to matching tree and pot...

White pines are usually more feminine in character. (Unless it's one of those massive ones!). And so they usually look better in a pot that has less visual weight. Sharp lines and angles are also more masculine.

The current pot isn't bad.. Maybe a little too large. The rim makes the pot look larger than it really is.

There's much we can't see in the current pot: can't see the nebari at all. Is is currently potted too deep? Can't tell. Is there good nebari we need to show off? Can't tell.

The best way to pick a pot is to have several possibilities available. Then prepare the rootball for planting. Then set the tree in each pot one at a time, stand back and take a picture.

Then look at the pictures!

I know, we all don't have an unlimited pot selection. But it is the best way!

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
If the size/shape is right, why not? It's a nice pot, but may be a touch deep and perhaps a bit masculine for the tree however.
The pictured pot is actually about a half inch shallower than the current pot. I guess we'll find out. I really like the pot and was hoping to match it to my best tree. Not my favorite (that would be your jbp), but most finished. Thank you for your input Judy. I guess I'm just in a hurry to have something nice, for me.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
As Adair said, white pine is a mountain tree, which would not sync with the side that has the fisherman in the boat in it. However, if you look at the opposite side, it is a pagoda with mountains and would fit with a white pine. Using this as a standalone seki kazari, with just a tree pot and stand, may tell the whole story appropriately.

The 泥 (unglazed) aspect of the pot works with the species of the tree, but unsure how it fits with the styling of the tree...Perhaps you could share your vision of what you want the tree to become in the future and then it may fit the pot....

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I think the shape of the pot is more important then the print on it, i can barely see the print but the shape is totally (wel, maynbe not that much) different as the original. I guess japan is surrounded by water so it's logical, but it's like comparing apples and oranges. If the pot was purple with pink spots (ánd a water scene) it would not be okey, you know what im saying :)
The tree cost a good bit more then what I payed for the pot.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like one of Brussels trees sold by Matt Smith on EBay? It has a better shape than most offered there I'd say. You chose well.

The pot looks like one that is better suited to sit in a display case or on a shelf than to have a tree in it.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
Looks like one of Brussels trees sold by Matt Smith on EBay? It has a better shape than most offered there I'd say. You chose well.

The pot looks like one that is better suited to sit in a display case or on a shelf than to have a tree in it.

It is Eric, and was quite a bit cheaper than most that he offers. I believe it's because of the wire marks. I don't really see them any more. I guess we'll see about the pot. I should have it in my hands by the middle of the week and can decide then.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cannot say much for tree but pot is very attractive. As I understand Chinese tend to use more decorated pots than those who adhere to Japanese formal rules. To claim using such is mark of "amateur" is gross arrogance of commentator and meant as insult to all who disagree with sameo_O. Most of us are amateur hobbyists anyway;).
Suggest finding another tree worthy of pot:D.

Top Bottom