Apricot? Air Layer?!?!

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was at work today and was out in the yard and looked up and saw this tree in full flower! From afar I thought it was a cherry. But when I asked my boss he said that its a apricot tree. I am wondering if anybody has experience with apricot trees, if they are good for bonsai. Now I have also always wanted to try air layering, so my two questions for this are, do stone fruit trees respond well to air layering?, and when is the best time to air layer?
Snapchat-2005185934.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm basing my experience on cultivated cherry and prunus mume, but they layer pretty easily. Start when the leaves have emerged, so after flowering, early summer. My layers take about 6-8 weeks to make enough roots to be separated.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good luck. I’ve tried at least twice on my apricot with two different rooting hormones and had no root growth.
Some time ago I dug around in some literature and it seems that most prunus varieties benefit from very low or no application of rooting hormones. Overall they seem to have terrible striking rates, the highest I could find was roughly 43%.
That's pretty low!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know they will root from hardwood cutting from the previous season taken in winter and allowed to callus before planting them up in spring.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some time ago I dug around in some literature and it seems that most prunus varieties benefit from very low or no application of rooting hormones. Overall they seem to have terrible striking rates, the highest I could find was roughly 43%.
That's pretty low!
I know they will root from hardwood cutting from the previous season taken in winter and allowed to callus before planting them up in spring.
Thanks for your info guys! I have never had success with cuttings so this is why I wanted to try air layering. One question about air layering tho as I am new to the idea is that how thick of a branch can you air layer? Does it need to be lets say last seasons growth or can it be one of the thicker branches? I plan on trying to layer in 2 to 3 sections as well. However I may try a few cuttings to see if one takes. I did buy rooting hormone not to long ago but if your experience with cuttings of the prunus varieties resulted in them benefiting from little or no rooting hormone I may for go that this time round.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for your info guys! I have never had success with cuttings so this is why I wanted to try air layering. One question about air layering tho as I am new to the idea is that how thick of a branch can you air layer? Does it need to be lets say last seasons growth or can it be one of the thicker branches? I plan on trying to layer in 2 to 3 sections as well. However I may try a few cuttings to see if one takes. I did buy rooting hormone not to long ago but if your experience with cuttings of the prunus varieties resulted in them benefiting from little or no rooting hormone I may for go that this time round.
All my air layers regardless of species is either done on current years growth that has harden off or last years growth and will send out roots within a month or two. I find that the older the branch the harder or longer it is to root....not saying it can't be done, just from my experience. If you have access to the tree try several methods to see which is more successful.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
All my air layers regardless of species is either done on current years growth that has harden off or last years growth and will send out roots within a month or two. I find that the older the branch the harder or longer it is to root....not saying it can't be done, just from my experience. If you have access to the tree try several methods to see which is more successful.
Ah Ok I was planning on trying on several different years growth. So we will see what works! Ill wait until leaves start coming out to do it.

Thanks!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
3-4 year old works for me too. I just don't want my air layers to be too thick, because those wounds are difficult to heal. It might not hurt in the first couple years, but eventually the trunk will go hollow from the bottom upwards, which is something I don't like at all. I'm not a big deciduous deadwood fan. I prefer doing them the difficult and long way; no hard chops or escape branches. Maybe down the road I'll come to my senses and realize that it just takes too long, but that's my personal problem.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
3-4 year old works for me too. I just don't want my air layers to be too thick, because those wounds are difficult to heal. It might not hurt in the first couple years, but eventually the trunk will go hollow from the bottom upwards, which is something I don't like at all. I'm not a big deciduous deadwood fan. I prefer doing them the difficult and long way; no hard chops or escape branches. Maybe down the road I'll come to my senses and realize that it just takes too long, but that's my personal problem.
I see interesting I didnt think of that. Is there any way to stop this from happening? Cut paste, melted wax? Or will that be unhealthy under the soil.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Air layers can work on wood of any age. Actually young wood, first year wood, or the same season's wood might not be strong enough to support the weight of the moss when the air layer is put in place. I definitely would use 3 to 10 year old wood. Find a spot with interesting bends and twists. No sense air layering a boring straight segment. When wood is beyond 10 years of age you might need more time for it to air layer as the tissues may not be as "pluripotent". But in theory there is no age limit, young or old for air layers.

I have never sealed the bottom of an air layer, and have had no trouble with the core of the tree becoming hollow. At least so far. Most of my trees are less than 25 years in my care. I don't see the trunk becoming hollow being a serious issue in the average lifespan of a bonsai. With ume the aged, hollowed out trunks are part of the "magic" of using ume (apricots) for bonsai. As I think about it, it might be worth encouraging hollow trunks to form for future interest as the bonsai ages.

Top Bottom