Aquarium water for watering and fertilizer?

Stiple

Sapling
Reaction score
I don't think people here are considering that the nice fish emulsion fertilizer cakes they love, are the collected and dried version of what the OP would be using.

Aquaponics involves two separate parts. One part a fish tank with lots of fish adding fertilizer to the water, and another part where plants grow using the fertilized water from the fish tank.

They don't have to be submerged, and could even be considered a reservoir for a drip feeding system for the trees.

There is more to it which I left out for brevity, but this could work after enough research and doing it properly.

Instead of googling it, I suggest searching youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aquaponics

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
No pics as off yet.. sorry.. i only have my mobile phone and its oooold.. so quality is really shitty.

But fish list goes as this :

3 Khuli eels.

3 algue suckers..

3 indian shrimps.. (with claws)

1 ciklide.

2 bala sharks

2. tiger barbs

and 4 small tetras..

I had 2 neon tetras as well buuuut i guess the shrimps ate them :O

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Just a little update :)

The ficus in the aquarium is doing great! new shoots and leaves are still coming and the submerged roots are also developing :)

My nitrit levels has also gone down a lot so it is using the fertilizers in the water :)

If the submerged roots grow a little longer i can actually secure them and make a submerged root over rock i hope :D

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use "crappy water."
I have a filtered whiskey barrel with 4 goldfish in it. The fish are thriving and the water is visibly VERY clear.

But I do dip a small watering can into the barrel regularly and use that water to put on the trees.
I don't know if they LIKE it, but they sure show no ill effect.

And mentally, I think I'm doing a ...good...thing as the water is completely free of chlorination and must have some good dissolved waste in it.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't read the whole thread to see if anyone mentioned aquaponics. But read about it. Your aquarium and it's fish waste are perfect to make a growbed with gravel and a fill and drain cycle. The fish poo feeds bacterias that turn into organic food the plants eat, and keeping the water clear with 0 aquarium chemicals. It waters itself too. So read about it or watch the tons of videos. Your aquarium will provide the water and fertalizer to grow all the salad you can eat. My system has some ficus and other tropical species and they grew very fast then slowed down and are growing at least as well as my trees in pots. But mostly I grow salad plants in mine. The other AP methods, like in pvc or deepwater culture wont work for trees but grow lots of food with no toxic waste like hydroponic systems. It is basically organic hydroponics. My tank water is as clear as can be and I think you might find a way to adapt it for your needs. Check it out.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think people here are considering that the nice fish emulsion fertilizer cakes they love, are the collected and dried version of what the OP would be using.

Aquaponics involves two separate parts. One part a fish tank with lots of fish adding fertilizer to the water, and another part where plants grow using the fertilized water from the fish tank.

They don't have to be submerged, and could even be considered a reservoir for a drip feeding system for the trees.

There is more to it which I left out for brevity, but this could work after enough research and doing it properly.

Instead of googling it, I suggest searching youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aquaponics
I know about aquaponics, my system is several years old.
One of the 3 main ways of doing it is a flood and drain growbed. It fills up to the drain and this causes a siphon to drain the bed like a toilet sort of. While the water level is low the roots get to breath air that enters the grow medium when the water vacates the space. I use gravel in mine and it works. Anyway plants grow while breathing air then being fed and watered again over and over. It can be a plastic drum with the top 1/3 cut off and flipped over for the bed and 1/2 dozen golfish and grow a lot of food. Or trees. They like a longer fill and drain cycle.. Veggies like it faster. I not pretending to be an expert but I have 4 yr old spinach plants in my system. And I have several species of ficus and a couple of other tropicals, growing year round
So to answer the op I pointed out a way aquarium water is used to grow plants. Maybe I am the first to try trees in AP. But he could easily grow a little version growing salad and bonsai stock. The roots that grow into the medium are perfect for a bonsai pot, all shallow feeders. So with a smallish growbed he could filter his tank with a tree or two and a bunch of organic veggies and have clear water. I know from experience that it doesn't need to be complicated or expensive or big.
Yes watering your trees with aquarium water can be done. And that water will return to the tank over and over and be clean. And it's automatic. You can't forget to water. And your roots won't rot. So his idea is a good one and I just was offering an example. Everyone that can should have AP for their salads and stop buying things bathed in poison, buying themselves cancer. And it tastes so much better.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I'd be interested into seeing how they would adapt to ever being repotted. I've had AP systems and just grew veggies. Certainly a fun project.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd be interested into seeing how they would adapt to ever being repotted. I've had AP systems and just grew veggies. Certainly a fun project.
The roots my trees in AP are perfect. Shallow and fine with no taproot. The things I have transplanted to soil from AP didn't ever even look sad. I think a year or two growing in AP would be good for most trees, to get radial feeder roots faster than a colander. The flood and drain time probably needs slowing down so it fills slower and drains fast.
I know people will say it's crazy or won't work. They are welcome to come see.
I think it was Morgan Freeman who said "everything was impossible. Until someone did it. "

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
IDK about aquarium water but I do intend to start collecting and using pond water from a local lily pond that I Bass fish at:) I know the water has to be good because of the thriving ecosystem that exists in that pond. Bass, craw fish, frogs, salamanders, carp, water snakes etc.

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
The roots my trees in AP are perfect. Shallow and fine with no taproot. The things I have transplanted to soil from AP didn't ever even look sad. I think a year or two growing in AP would be good for most trees, to get radial feeder roots faster than a colander. The flood and drain time probably needs slowing down so it fills slower and drains fast.
I know people will say it's crazy or won't work. They are welcome to come see.
I think it was Morgan Freeman who said "everything was impossible. Until someone did it. "
I don't disagree with putting potted plants into an AP promotes an amazing plant. I just wonder about the reverse. Those are water roots. You pull them out and put those in a traditional grow substrate, and those roots will be damaged. If you plan on keeping your plants/trees in AP you'll have no problems until it outgrows the grow bed.

Top Bottom