Arakawa in la belle province

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doing a autumn clean up in the yard, and wanted to share some photos. I am hoping some of the maple experts on here can chime in with some constructive advice, so if @MACH5 or @Dav4 or any of you other good folks are up to it! I have only had japanese maples as landscape trees, so I appreciate your shared input. I am aware of the large roots at the base, but I quite like them as they seem to fit the leaning posture of the tree. With the rough bark and strong roots, it reminds me of the old growth oaks I grew up around. 20161119_110455.jpg 20161119_110515.jpg 20161119_110542.jpg 20161119_110603.jpg

Reaction score
Nice tapering trunk. Keep working on the roots, they look ok now, but when you let them get to much power they will double in size quickly. The trunk thickens fast when barking up. When you go for an oak-like image i think you have a good starting point. I would like to have this one on my bench. How big is this one? Since the bark is still green i guess this one was growing in the ground or is smaller than it looks (or does bark up slower than the species i have here).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Good start! I love Arakawa trunks and you've got pretty good one going there. If this were mine, I'd want the branches to have a bit more movement- cut the branches back hard this spring and wire out the new growth ala @Adair M. I'd want more surface roots to show, so planting out in a shallow grow box and work the roots to grow laterally ala @markyscott and the Ebihara technique would be a good thing to try. Finally, I think the upper portion of trunk is too straight and taperless, so chopping most of that straight portion away and training a new leader to become your apex is a good idea. Looking forward to seeing this one next spring!

Reaction score
Shouldn't that be the other way around?
:p

Nice femmy taper.

Sorce
Yes normally when trees are young they thicken fast. (is it that what you mean with the other way around?) But with thick barked species they put on a lot of volume of bark when older. I airlayered a branch this year. Just barked up and almost half of the volume was bark. So i think when this one will bark up it will thicken fast. ps. to bark up, is that a verb used with trees?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bark scares me,.,,,,,

Looks like a disease!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had a "wrong" feeling with using that. Sorry!
Tone is so difficult in text, and I sometimes forget that not everyone's familiar with American colloquialisms. "Barking up the wrong tree" is a common phrase that means looking in the wrong place or following the wrong lead.

Apologies if you already knew that and were just continuing with the joke :)
Regarding bonsai, I definitely hear and read people saying "bark up," and even "trunk up."

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Wilson - This looks like a cool piece of stock to work with; it should provide fun and challenge for years.
The first thing that jumps out at me is that second branch; it's much thicker than the first branch. Typically the lowest branch should be the largest, and then they get progressively thinner moving up the tree. For that to be the case with this material, you have a few options...
Let the lowest branch run wild until it gets much thicker.
Or, cut off the second branch and graft/grow a thinner one in its place.
Or, cut off all of the existing branches (eventually) and begin development from scratch, gaining movement and taper through close attention. This is not as crazy as it sounds ;)

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies guys! It seems to match up with what I thought, in terms of the branching. I was wondering about the difference in vigour of the arakawa's, I remember Bjorn mentioning that they are less vigourous in terms of apex growth/growth habit in general. I know that this one didn't appreciate the strong sun, so remained with a shade cloth. @Dav4 thanks for your two cents, I do hope to comb out the roots as @markyscott documented so well on here, and if I am well organized next season, to wire a la @Adair M

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice tree Wilson. Arakawa are absolutely beautiful maples! They are more resistant to leaf scorch than most other Japanese maples. I leave mine in full sun throughout the year. Very easy to air layer. This past year I did two that air layered in three weeks. Keep in mind that it is difficult to impossible for them to bud back in areas where the bark has already plated but you can always resort to thread/approach grafting if the need arises.

Your tree reminds me of the one featured in this video. It's in Spanish but at least you can watch him wire and prune the tree. Have fun with yours and post updates.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing the video, I can understand a bit of spanish, since it's similar to french. I really should stop being lazy, and learn spanish, then I could head to Cuba and meet up with some old colleagues. I am interested in the possibility of air layering the top of this one. I will have to devise a plan over the long winter here.

Reaction score
Tone is so difficult in text, and I sometimes forget that not everyone's familiar with American colloquialisms. "Barking up the wrong tree" is a common phrase that means looking in the wrong place or following the wrong lead.
I was not familiar with the colloquialisms (i had to look it up what that means...) Thank you for putting me in the right direction. Back to the tree... With a not so common species it is always good to airlayer some plants off. Have fun. I have the strong impression they do grow faster than normal JM

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was not familiar with the colloquialisms (i had to look it up what that means...) Thank you for putting me in the right direction. Back to the tree... With a not so common species it is always good to airlayer some plants off. Have fun. I have the strong impression they do grow faster than normal JM

Dirk probably not faster at least in my experience. I'd say about same growth rate as green Japanese maples but that is saying quite a lot since they are very vigorous. A very responsive variety aside from being beautiful! Not much else one can ask for.

D

Deleted member 21616

@Wilson how is this tree doing?

I'm in Montreal. Always curious how fellow Quebecers are doing with their maples :)

Derek

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I haven't done much of anything with this but fight fungal infections, many thanks to @Smoke for setting me on the right path. Between the super intense summer heat and humidity, I haven't gotten this to really grow like crazy. I am hoping this year I will get it to put on vigour, and gain some good strength.20190302_122212.jpg20190302_122151.jpg20190302_122132.jpg

D

Deleted member 21616

I like the trunk line a lot.

take any pics of the nebari/roots during repotting?

what kind of fungal infections have you been battling? :(

Top Bottom