Arakawa Maple air layer?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve found an Acer Palmatum Arakawa for sale near me but I’m unsure whether to go ahead with buying it. I knew they’d be a graft that I’d have to air layer off but the rough bark just gives me the idea that it won’t air layer as easy as other maples?

Has anyone else had any success layering an arakawa that’s got such rough bark?

Thanks
Ben

Attachments

• 231B226B-75BD-4755-A715-0D92CE12C421.jpeg
    231B226B-75BD-4755-A715-0D92CE12C421.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 200

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMHO, if you cut a ring of bark, the roots will grow from the exposed cambium, so no matter if the bark was rough or smooth, if it goes away :cool:

I don't like an arakawa with white foot at all!

Cheers!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Absolutely.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely.
Just read through and see the progress really inspiring work!
I’ve left the air layer on but noticed a few weeks ago that there seem to be a couple of roots in the bag. There isn’t enough roots to support the tree if I take the layer off, if I leave it on until the next growing season when the tree begins growing again the roots should in theory fill up the bag aswell?

Attachments

• DF396495-79D9-4E7C-B75A-FF72D57F4195.jpeg
    DF396495-79D9-4E7C-B75A-FF72D57F4195.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 130

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would leave it until next summer. Hopefully you can keep it from getting too cold...mid-20s F is about as low as I’d let it get.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would leave it until next summer. Hopefully you can keep it from getting too cold...mid-20s F is about as low as I’d let it get.
Should I protect the roots in the pot and the air layer from getting too cold? Maybe cover the pot with a layer of bark then some kind of fleece and just wrap the layer in fleece?

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Should I protect the roots in the pot and the air layer from getting too cold? Maybe cover the pot with a layer of bark then some kind of fleece and just wrap the layer in fleece?
Ryan Neil stated in one of his videos that he never got frost damage on fresh airlayers. I have left an pear airlayer through the winter unprotected (only in plastic wrapping) and it was just fine.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How cold is your winter? If you update your porfile to add you location and/or climatic zone it is a bit easier to understand what risk you have.

In my garden this would be separated. BUT that is partially because our winters have been a joke the last years AND I have a shed AND I have a greenhouse. So I can offer plenty of alternatives in case we do get a cold spell the next 6 weeks. Also, I do not mind loosing some airlayers as I have too many anyways. Considering this is AP Arakawa you might want to be a bit overprotective and ensure it lives.

What you coudl do is unpack the layer, place a rim arount is (e.g., the top of a large pot) and fill that with substrate. That way the roots have place to go. I think you will find that in spring the new substrate will have roots growing in it. Then separate in spring, at normal repotting time (Around budbreak).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan Neil stated in one of his videos that he never got frost damage on fresh airlayers. I have left an pear airlayer through the winter unprotected (only in plastic wrapping) and it was just fine.
How cold is your winter? If you update your porfile to add you location and/or climatic zone it is a bit easier to understand what risk you have.

In my garden this would be separated. BUT that is partially because our winters have been a joke the last years AND I have a shed AND I have a greenhouse. So I can offer plenty of alternatives in case we do get a cold spell the next 6 weeks. Also, I do not mind loosing some airlayers as I have too many anyways. Considering this is AP Arakawa you might want to be a bit overprotective and ensure it lives.

What you coudl do is unpack the layer, place a rim arount is (e.g., the top of a large pot) and fill that with substrate. That way the roots have place to go. I think you will find that in spring the new substrate will have roots growing in it. Then separate in spring, at normal repotting time (Around budbreak).
I’ve got multiple other air layers on another maple that’s not an arakawa but they don’t have any roots as yet so am just going to leave those as they are but as @leatherback is saying I don’t want to lose the arakawa one especially as it’s rooted already.

Should I leave the current moss on and wrap the pot around the trunk and fill the space with substrate? Is there any particular substrate you’d recommend using?

Ive updated my profile with my hardiness zone and location.

Thanks

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right now the roots are still very brittle and weak. So it is key to not move them in any way. Which means that putting a broad rim around the trnk is already tricky. Certainly do not teason out the moss.

In London you do not get a lot of frost, normally. The thing should also be fine leaving it as is.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right now the roots are still very brittle and weak. So it is key to not move them in any way. Which means that putting a broad rim around the trnk is already tricky. Certainly do not teason out the moss.

In London you do not get a lot of frost, normally. The thing should also be fine leaving it as is.
I think I might try to secure a pot like you are saying just to be extra safe. My layer is further up the main trunk line which is going to make it even more awkward!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My layer is further up the main trunk line which is going to make it even more awkward!
Is it?
Oh, the picture made it look to me as if it was close to the pot surface. You probably do more harm than good trying to add a pot to it then?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
You're in London, it's not going to get particularly cold. If you've got a shed, unheated garage, or greenhouse, just stick the tree in there and it should be fine.
If not, then you could wrap the layered area in horticultural fleece. Messing around with extra pots full of substrate is likely to do more harm than good.
Realistically though you probably don't need to protect it at all, with the temperatures we're likely to get.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Separated the air layer today. Thinned out the canopy and cut back. Have got about 50 cuttings aswell so hopefully they should take!

Attachments

• 882C8C6D-0B96-4AE1-B953-086CA173EB9C.jpeg
    882C8C6D-0B96-4AE1-B953-086CA173EB9C.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 51
  • FEB08529-D124-4D3A-9489-313032D7E4B4.jpeg
    FEB08529-D124-4D3A-9489-313032D7E4B4.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 8676805F-31F1-433D-A2AC-8F3212D1FE61.jpeg
    8676805F-31F1-433D-A2AC-8F3212D1FE61.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 8E7FAD9A-392B-4672-A9C2-6DDA32D974B4.jpeg
    8E7FAD9A-392B-4672-A9C2-6DDA32D974B4.jpeg