ARAKAWA MAPLE SEEDLINGS

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Anyone here has 1 or 2 year old arakawa maple seedlings for sale?

Thanks!
M5

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm interested as well if you find a supplier Serg! My stump needs help lol

Sure! :)

I need them very thin since I will use them for root grafting. Matt O. sells lots at the size I need but only standard A. Palmatum.

EDIT: I realize also that when I say seedlings, I meant to indicate more the size of the plant and not how it was grown, since arakawa cannot, like any other cultivar, be relied upon from seed.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought Bill V has some arakawa seedling from his arakawa landscape tree. That going to be as close as rooted cuttings that you are looking for in my opinion.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I thought Bill V has some arakawa seedling from his arakawa landscape tree. That going to be as close as rooted cuttings that you are looking for in my opinion.

Thanks namnhi. You may be right. Unfortunately I think Bill's trees may be too big for my purposes. I will send him a PM and see. I have two air layers that I may use but they are a bit thick. I was hoping that by chance someone had perhaps a bunch of small rooted cuttings.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The Arakawa I got from Bill V this year was about pencil size, a foot tall or so, a branch part way up.
Ian

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The Arakawa I got from Bill V this year was about pencil size, a foot tall or so, a branch part way up.
Ian

Thanks Ian! I think that is a little too thick for my purposes but I will contact Bill and see if he has any thinner ones available.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought some arakawa seedlings a while back I think on eBay. Surprisingly, they are corking up after only a couple of years in the ground.

Reaction score
Anyone here has 1 or 2 year old arakawa maple seedlings for sale?

Thanks!
M5

We just started about 2,500 Arakawa cuttings about a week ago, going to be about 2 more months until they have roots, they were suppose to be for our garden stock, but I suppose we could sell/trade a few (10-20) when they have roots. We'd be interested in trades for Itoigawa Juniper, Mikawa JBP, or Hinoki Cypress cuttings for trade if you have them, otherwise, if your still interested when they root in another 6-7 weekswe can work out a fair price for you.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
We just started about 2,500 Arakawa cuttings about a week ago, going to be about 2 more months until they have roots, they were suppose to be for our garden stock, but I suppose we could sell/trade a few (10-20) when they have roots. We'd be interested in trades for Itoigawa Juniper, Mikawa JBP, or Hinoki Cypress cuttings for trade if you have them, otherwise, if your still interested when they root in another 6-7 weekswe can work out a fair price for you.

Great thanks Woody! Will contact you in a few weeks and work something out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mach5 I tried to get a conversation going about this in another thread.....

How come we don't use roots from another part of the tree to graft like we do branches?

Slipped under the bottom into a notch at the base.....

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How come we don't use roots from another part of the tree to graft like we do branches?
I have seen it done. Pull the roots through a hole in a root and wait. I think it should be an easy way to go if yoou have a healthy tree. Just pot it up deep en cover the roots with sufficient substrate.

Surprisingly, they are corking up after only a couple of years in the ground.
Happy to hear. I pulled a hand full of seeds from my juvi arakawa and am hoping for some offspring once the 6 months winter gestation ;) time is over.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have seen it done. Pull the roots through a hole in a root and wait. I think it should be an easy way to go if yoou have a healthy tree. Just pot it up deep en cover the roots with sufficient substrate.
I think the reason is because you can let the seedling grow and thicken the grafted roots only.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Mach5 I tried to get a conversation going about this in another thread.....

Slipped under the bottom into a notch at the base.....

Sorce
For that to work, you'd end up with big roots. I've got it drilled into my brain to keep small roots.

Top Bottom