ARAKAWA MAPLE SEEDLINGS

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Hey Sergio, were you able to locate some smaller Arakawa cuttings for root grafting? I'm looking for a few my self. :)

laluna

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a 4 year old Arakawa Maple. It's not grafted, was grown from seed. My old Arakawa tree sheds seeds and they sprout around the tree. I have about 12 from 2 to 5 years old. I am new to this site. I have seedlings ranging from loquats to American elms.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a 4 year old Arakawa Maple. It's not grafted, was grown from seed. My old Arakawa tree sheds seeds and they sprout around the tree. I have about 12 from 2 to 5 years old. I am new to this site. I have seedlings ranging from loquats to American elms.
welcome to the nuthouse!

You realize that seedlings from arakawa do not per se get the same back, right?!

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an old post, I believe that Mach5 already has done the root grafts in his arakawa! :cool:
Anyway in corky trees you get the best result using material from the same tree to graft, otherwise you may have differences in the bark in long term, with seedlings you never know 100% sure how the bark will be.

Last edited:

laluna

Seedling
Reaction score
welcome to the nuthouse!

You realize that seedlings from arakawa do not per se get the same back, right?!
I don't know whether you send me an email but, The Arakawa trees range from 14 to 24 inches tall from the top of the pot.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I found some nursery trees that had rough bark and I layered them.
It's something...

Cool! They are quite easy to air layer.

I have an air layer currently on my twin trunk arakawa. I am going to let it grow to eventually use it as a stock plant for future air layers. This Arakawa is the only one I have seen with bright red leaves in spring so planning to propagate it extensively!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Arakawa is the only one I have seen with bright red leaves in spring so planning to propagate it extensively!
Hm.. We might need to find someone flying to Europe at some point with space in the luggage!

I have received seedlings from a cross between a laceleaf and arakawa. First year seedlings so only 6 more years to get an indication whether there will be a rough-barked laceleaf in there..

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have an air layer currently on my twin trunk arakawa. I am going to let it grow to eventually use it as a stock plant for future air layers. This Arakawa is the only one I have seen with bright red leaves in spring so planning to propagate it extensively!
Is the normal spring Arakawa color a reddish-pink?

Top Bottom