Arakawa maple-which pot do u like?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First of all, great tree!

I like #4 when the tree is in leaf, and its a good size for the tree. The cream color looks better when the tree is leafless, but it looks a bit too large for the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
#3 has nice proportions but the color isn't the best. #2 is my choice, ideally it would be a bit smaller but still fine.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These pots (and stand and backdrop) all look exactly the same as those recently posted by Boon on his Bonsai Boon FaceBook page as potential pots for either a Korean hornbeam and Sangikaku maple...

Just PhotoShop, or are all of these trees and pots (and Boon) with you?

Either way, impressive tree and nice set of pots (especially the Shuho)

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good pickup @butlern. Boon and I did this together this week at my house. Several of my trees needed new pots, and this is a fun exercise. It led to this post, Sangu Kaku post and my (our) pairings for all of the pots shown above.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is Arakawa maple with final pot and some new leaves. Have to finish off apex, work on ramification etc.
Incredible tree!

I am working on developing some Arakawa and Nishiki Gawa maples, one of which I want to design similarly to yours.

What is the trunk diameter on this one above the nebari, and what do you plan on the final height to be?

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad you like the tree. Final height 1-2” more. Leader wired up to thicken, will put one more wiggle to left and cut down. Here is picture of base and nebari to answer you second question. Nebari spread is a bit greater, planted a bit lower than final this year to help develop nebari, partially covered with sphagnum.

0DA2D9D3-1214-4DFC-856C-705ED52A3CEA.jpeg

As a last comment, want to place some root grafts, particularly at back. Hard to find arakawa rooted cuttings or seedlings. Trying to grow some of my own this year to place in future. Should one wish for the same arakawa bark on root grafts, need to make sure stock is arakawa.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a better look at base and nebari, which is more exposed, before soil and sphagnum was added.

AB6A8D28-4D19-4186-A790-5E0CAF0044DB.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I prefer the cream oval now but suspect my tune would change to blue rectangleif it were in autumn color.

great tree!

Ed: whoops looks like you already made the call, and that looks great too!

Top Bottom