Arakawa Maple

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
sounds like you need me to take you out on the town and show you what you have been missing beer wise, while pbr is a decent beer, beer has changed alot since 1944

Sounds fun. While a lot has changed in the beer scene (1944 was 24 years before I was born), I am not sure it is/was for the better. I like my beer to taste like beer; not fruity, hoppy, or whatever else they come up with to put in it to try to make it unique and sell it for $12.00 a 4-pack.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sounds fun. While a lot has changed in the beer scene (1944 was 24 years before I was born), I am not sure it is/was for the better. I like my beer to taste like beer; not fruity, hoppy, or whatever else they come up with to put in it to try to make it unique and sell it for $12.00 a 4-pack.
To each their own I have gout so I can't really go quantity over quality anymore, if Im gonna have a drink I can only have 1 or 2, 3 max so for me its go big or go home Im a huge fan of pastry stouts which are usually 12-16% abv. they usually run 20 bucks a 350ml bottle. It sounds like you will enjoy lagers or pilsners. For Pilsners check out Prima pils by victory, and Bilbo by Creature Comforts, I don't know what gets distributed to bama, but when I lived in GA those were 2 I could get pretty much anywhere. Lagers I really like Classic City lager another creature beer. Hope that helps

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Really love this tree @Mellow Mullet ! I find it quite inspirational for the development of my Arakawa. Thanks for keeping the thread updated with your activities and pictures. I really wish my tree showed the same vigour you get with yours - mine gets loads of shoots but I just don’t get that amount of growth. What do you feed? And when do you start?

thanks again

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Mellow Mullet. Good work and great tree! 👍To try and save you some time, I noticed in some close up shots that you are covering very small cuts with some sort of cut paste. Do not worry about covering these up. The tree will be fine. Cover cuts anything larger than about 3/8" and up. Smaller cuts I usually use a more liquid type of product. For larger cuts I tend to use the traditional gray cut paste putty.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet. Good work and great tree! 👍To try and save you some time, I noticed in some close up shots that you are covering very small cuts with some sort of cut paste. Do not worry about covering these up. The tree will be fine. Cover cuts anything larger than about 3/8" and up. Smaller cuts I usually use a more liquid type of product. For larger cuts I tend to use the traditional gray cut paste putty.
Thanks, Sergio, I probably am being overly cautious, but I have the worse luck with fungus and have lost several maples to it. I am not as bad as I used to be, lol. It is home made concoction, brown latex caulk with a little gray added, then diluted down to a paste been oil and water.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice arakawa. Hard to beat small fresh leaves against that mature bark.

Getting to refinement stage. I agree with another comment that selecting a single apex will improve the long term development of this tree. How about air layering off the second apex?

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonderful tree, love the bark. I believe you are headed in the right direction, always hard to make those big cuts.

Focusing on the apex, you have reduced one, and I believe your future apex is to the left? This leaves the reduced apex as a branch, which at present is same in size to the to the apex. To further define the movement of the upper part of the whole composition, might you consider taking the reduced apex off, back to the trunk? Recognizing, you will ultimately need a new (smaller) branch to fill the top right. Another big decision, can always think about it, or start a graft where you need this season?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Wonderful tree, love the bark. I believe you are headed in the right direction, always hard to make those big cuts.

Focusing on the apex, you have reduced one, and I believe your future apex is to the left? This leaves the reduced apex as a branch, which at present is same in size to the to the apex. To further define the movement of the upper part of the whole composition, might you consider taking the reduced apex off, back to the trunk? Recognizing, you will ultimately need a new (smaller) branch to fill the top right. Another big decision, can always think about it, or start a graft where you need this season?
It is difficult to see in 2- D, everything above the branch with the hot-pink tubing on it will be used to configure the new apex. There may be some additions (grafts) and deletions along the way. Gonna see what she gives me to work with this Spring.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love this tree and where you are going with it. It's bark is to die for!
Also, does anyone else see a face in there? I'm just waiting for it to call an Entmoot.
1611602274162.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
13 days later, it needed a haircut. I reduce one of the competing apexes, I was not brave enough to completely remove it, we will see next season.

Before:
View attachment 291441

View attachment 291442

View attachment 291443

View attachment 291444

After:

View attachment 291445

View attachment 291446

View attachment 291447

View attachment 291448

I got a couple of nice cuttings from the reduction of the twin apex.

View attachment 291450

And a five gallon bucket on trimmings

View attachment 291449
@Mellow Mullet I love arakawa’s and this is an amazing example. I’m hoping to cut off my air layer from the parent plant sometime this year. How did the cuttings go? Any update

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet I love arakawa’s and this is an amazing example. I’m hoping to cut off my air layer from the parent plant sometime this year. How did the cuttings go? Any update
I have found that arakawa roots fairly easily, I have another that I am working on that is a cutting from this tree, it is about index finger thick now. The cuttings from post 99 did not make it, they were a little large to try to root by just sticking in soil and keeping wet. I knew it was a long shot, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. The new shoots like the ones in the 5 gallon bucket root fairly well, I get about 50% success just sticking them in a pot of soil and keeping them wet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found that arakawa roots fairly easily, I have another that I am working on that is a cutting from this tree, it is about index finger thick now. The cuttings from post 99 did not make it, they were a little large to try to root by just sticking in soil and keeping wet. I knew it was a long shot, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. The new shoots like the ones in the 5 gallon bucket root fairly well, I get about 50% success just sticking them in a pot of soil and keeping them wet.
50% is good for very little effort! What time of the year do you usually take those cuttings because I will definitely give it a go this year. I tried some last year but to no avail. Do you normally bunch them all together or in individual pots?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This worked with -I think- 1 not making it last spring:
Thanks for that! I’ll give that a go in early spring, could I substitute the finer top 2/3 layer for maybe sand and grit all my substrate is pre sieved.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for that! I’ll give that a go in early spring, could I substitute the finer top 2/3 layer for maybe sand and grit all my substrate is pre sieved.
Not sure what the difference will be. I guess it should not be a problem, as long as the sand is not too fine. The stuff I had was all about 1-2mm kernals (0.04-0.08 inch), allowing a nice balance between lots of moisture yet airy. I could imagine that sand and grit are not porous and act differently.

Why not give it a try. Worst case you loose a batch of cuttings (And a year).

Top Bottom