Arakawa Maple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what the difference will be. I guess it should not be a problem, as long as the sand is not too fine. The stuff I had was all about 1-2mm kernals (0.04-0.08 inch), allowing a nice balance between lots of moisture yet airy. I could imagine that sand and grit are not porous and act differently.

Why not give it a try. Worst case you loose a batch of cuttings (And a year).
Hey @leatherback

most of my cuttings still have green leaves on trying your technique and some even have new growth what would be the next step for the ones that have new growth on.

they are still in the sealed bags just receiving early morning sun then shade for the rest of day with me misting aswell.

thanks I’m advance I’m chuffed with the results so far!

ben

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
when I see new growth i take it as indication of roots starting. I just unzipped so air could move more freely, and after a few weeks folded the bag oprn. Here local weather is important. Hot and dry, leave as is. Humid and cool weather start opening, i would say

Reaction score
USDA Zone
when I see new growth i take it as indication of roots starting. I just unzipped so air could move more freely, and after a few weeks folded the bag oprn. Here local weather is important. Hot and dry, leave as is. Humid and cool weather start opening, i would say
Thank you very much I will put those tips into practice!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:

Recent life events have left most of my trees somewhat neglected, but things are sorta kinda returning to normal. It is repotting time in the Heart of Dixie, so I thought I'd give the old girl a repot--she really needed it, the pot is kinda small. I have been thinking of selling a kidney to get a better one, I can't believe what they go for these days.

Before:

Kinda overgrown and in bad need of a trim:

DSC05418-1.jpg

DSC05420-1.jpg

DSC05422-1.jpg

Out of the pot, I sure hope that the white stuff is mycorzi (Sp. - you know, the good fungi) and not root aphids:

DSC05424-1.jpg

I was able to expose a little more of the nebari and show off a little more of the base:

DSC05426-1.jpg

DSC05429-1.jpg

DSC05431-1.jpg

Here she is all potted up and edited (branches), ready for another season:

DSC05433-1.jpg

DSC05436-1.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice. I was staring at one of these this past weekend, they’re amazing.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
John, haven't seen you post or write on your site for a long while. Everything ok?
Thanks for asking, Namnhi, the past two years have been tough. My wife lost two family members and I have been helping her deal with two estates and helped with their decline in health before passing. I hope to get back to updating it soon.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks for asking, Namnhi, the past two years have been tough. My wife lost two family members and I have been helping her deal with two estates and helped with their decline in health before passing. I hope to get back to updating it soon.
I'm sorry for your family's losses. I'm glad to see you back in action here.

Top Bottom