Arakawa Maple

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've got the chance of getting this Arakawa maple. Its already got some rough bark forming on the trunk - looks pretty good. What do you guys think? Maybe a bit bare on the right side? Can you thread graft Arakawa if I wanted to add an extra branch there?

Attachments

• IMG-20180517-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20180517-WA0000.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 331

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Another couple of pictures. What do you guys think? Is this a "Buy" or a "Leave"?

Attachments

• IMG-20180517-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180517-WA0002.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG-20180517-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20180517-WA0001.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG-20180517-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20180517-WA0003.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 195

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you could airlayer just below that bulge you would lose that straight uninteresting section of trunk. But you would also lose some of that beautiful craggy bark. But then you wouldn't have such a need to fill the empty space. But I don't know if you can airlayer that big. It's a nice tree, just that lowest part of the trunk and the bulge bother me a bit.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out but even now I see it, I don't think it bothers me. If it does, I got a couple of ideas - like plant it a tad deeper, airlayer it off or take some cuttings and do some root graphs next year. I don't know what the nebari is like so I might have to do one of these anyway.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was just an observation. Definitely your call what you do with it.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and buy this tree - I know there are a couple of things that need some attention but I'll probably let it go this year and learn a bit about it. I'll try and get a few cuttings off of it and if they grow, I'll have some material for grafting next year.

It would be good to see some pictures of your Arakawa's if you guys don't mind posting them.

Andy

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and buy this tree - I know there are a couple of things that need some attention but I'll probably let it go this year and learn a bit about it. I'll try and get a few cuttings off of it and if they grow, I'll have some material for grafting next year.

It would be good to see some pictures of your Arakawa's if you guys don't mind posting them.

Andy

Arakawa also air layers quite readily as an other option if cuttings don't take.

Here is one of mine showing good progress in fours years.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi folks. My Arakawa lost all its leaves this weekend and I can now see the branch structure for the first time - I'll get a couple of pictures tomorrow. There are a couple of straight branches that probably need to be removed - shame as they're a decent thickness. The branches have "barked up" to about an inch out from the trunk, with the rest of the branch being "normal". If I cut back these "normal" branches, back to the cork, will they bud out from the nodes? I mean, will Arakawa back bud from corked bark?

Thanks all,

Andy

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
I just realised that I missed you pictures Brian and Sergio! Both lovely trees, Ir like the idea of having a twin trunk maple like this one - I might try this with my Kashima.

Managed to get some pictures of my Arakawa - apologies for the quality of the pictures, I cant seem to get decent quality. Anyway, I asked about Arakawa's ability to back bud, thank you Brian for your answer. As you can see from the pictures, there are a couple of branches that I think are too straight and I think the internodes might be too long. Am I right? These branches haven't barked up yet so have some flexibility; I'm wondering if I should wire them and effectively reduce the length of these long internodes. Or am I kidding myself? Should I just cut back?
DSCN0233.JPGDSCN0233.JPGDSCN0233.JPGDSCN0236.JPGDSCN0239.JPGDSCN0241.JPGDSCN0242.JPGDSCN0246.JPGDSCN0247.JPGDSCN0245.JPGDSCN0244.JPG

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've just been reading Mach's thread on his Ginnala maple. NYBonsai asked a question about brittle maple branches and I must admit I never thought about some maple varieties branches being more brittle than others. I've had a look and a wiggle of my Arakawa's branches and they seem to be flexibke(ish) to me! What would you say about Arakawa's? Would you say they are flexible? I don't want to try and push my luck and try and put a bend in a section of branch if it won't take it!

Would it help wrapping the wire in floral tape like Mach did on his Ginnala?

Thanks all,

Andy

Reaction score
@AndyJ Might be late to answer this. Arakawa is more brittle than standard JM. They snap faster without the warning signs you usually get.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks.

I've just been reading Mach's thread on his Ginnala maple. NYBonsai asked a question about brittle maple branches and I must admit I never thought about some maple varieties branches being more brittle than others. I've had a look and a wiggle of my Arakawa's branches and they seem to be flexibke(ish) to me! What would you say about Arakawa's? Would you say they are flexible? I don't want to try and push my luck and try and put a bend in a section of branch if it won't take it!

Would it help wrapping the wire in floral tape like Mach did on his Ginnala?

Thanks all,

Andy

Sorry I realize I am chiming late to your question from October. I agree with Dirk that arakawa tends to be more brittle than other maples. However, I have wired mine completely to the tips sometimes giving branches more accentuated bends and such with no problems, but you need to go carefully. I would say that at least they are way more flexible that say kiyohime.

Wrapping floral tape on wire does not make branches more pliable. It simply allows the wire to stay a big longer on the branch before it bites in and also helps protect the bark.

Top Bottom