Arakawa Maple

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Does anyone have a good resource for Arakawa japanese maple? It looks like there are some on Brussels but I'm looking for more of a starter plant (1 gallon graft or an airlayer preferably). I am having a hard time locating these online and even harder in person. Most online are out of stock. Anyone have experience with Maplestone Ornamentals? I saw they have some 1 gallon grafted material on their site.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I hope to have some available by summer next year if you can't find one anytime soon.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They will be rooted cuttings. I also had difficulty finding my two mother trees. Depending how much growth they put on next spring a may take several air layerings.

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They will be rooted cuttings. I also had difficulty finding my two mother trees. Depending how much growth they put on next spring a may take several air layerings.
Good to know. This is what i'm looking for. I may be in touch.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone have a good resource for Arakawa japanese maple? It looks like there are some on Brussels but I'm looking for more of a starter plant (1 gallon graft or an airlayer preferably). I am having a hard time locating these online and even harder in person. Most online are out of stock. Anyone have experience with Maplestone Ornamentals? I saw they have some 1 gallon grafted material on their site.
They show up on the facebook auctions sites every so often (if you are a facebook user). There's a member named Martin Sweeney (I think that's the spelling, he's a member here too but doesn't post much) who often sells rooted arakawa cuttings, I have 3 from him that came with nice roots and are developing nicely several years later. They were small, though, roughly pencil-sized when they arrived. I don't see larger stock very often, more developed trees get expensive quickly.

You could try to contact him either at facebook or here to see what he might have available.

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They show up on the facebook auctions sites every so often (if you are a facebook user). There's a member named Martin Sweeney (I think that's the spelling, he's a member here too but doesn't post much) who often sells rooted arakawa cuttings, I have 3 from him that came with nice roots and are developing nicely several years later. They were small, though, roughly pencil-sized when they arrived. I don't see larger stock very often, more developed trees get expensive quickly.

You could try to contact him either at facebook or here to see what he might have available.
Thanks. I am on the bonsai auctions site. For whatever reason i cannot gain access to the 99Cent bonsai auctions page. Maybe that's where these were put up for sale? I may need to reach out to Martin Sweeney. Thanks for the information.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I am on the bonsai auctions site. For whatever reason i cannot gain access to the 99Cent bonsai auctions page. Maybe that's where these were put up for sale? I may need to reach out to Martin Sweeney. Thanks for the information.
Yes, probably on 99cent because they are relatively cheap/stock material. Have you tried to join that group and not gotten a response?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You might contact Green Thumb Bonsai.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could they be ‘out of stock’ because they don’t ship that type of tree at this time of year? Honest question.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw a place called Mendocino Maples that has them from time to time. They may be out right now though

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do have a little experience with Maplestone Ornamentals. I bought 4 Japanese maples from them this past summer (Arakawa, Katsura, Autumn Moon, and Fireglow). They did a decent job of packing the trees. Nursery pots were wrapped in plastic to keep the soil in place and moist enough to keep the trees alive. They were a bit on the dry side when they arrived, but considering how hot it was outside at the time that was not unexpected. Bamboo sticks were stuck in the pots to keep them positioned properly in the boxes so as to minimize breaking branches during shipping. I immediately repotted mine into Boon’s mix when they arrived, shaking off loose soil first but not doing any significant root work. They’ve recovered well and are looking healthy thus far. All 4 were grafts. The grafts are a bit higher than I would prefer, but my plan to deal with that is to air layer them. Fall color on the Arakawa was a gorgeous crimson. Overall, I’m happy with the purchase and would buy from them again.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you gonna be able to use a grafted Arakawa for bonsai. I was reading @MACH5 thread on his Arakawa he was taking an air layer from his tree to do root grafts with. The idea for it was the bark on roots matched. If you buy grafted stock aren't you gonna have to layer it? I may not understand you guys correctly.

Last edited:

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would check Nature's Way outside Harrisburg. And there is a place called Riverview between Lancaster and reading.

nover18

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would check Nature's Way outside Harrisburg. And there is a place called Riverview between Lancaster and reading.
Riverview I will have to check out. I didn’t see any at natures way this past spring but could have missed it

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you gonna be able to use a grafted Arakawa for bonsai. I was reading @MACH5 thread on his Arakawa he was taking an air layer from his tree to do root grafts with. The idea for it was the bark on roots matched. If you buy grafted stock aren't you gonna have to layer it? I may not understand you guys correctly.
I’m planning to air layer all 4 of the Japanese maples that I bought. The layer on the Arakawa will definitely be above the graft because, as you noted, the rough bark is distinctive. The others will either be layered above the graft or just below it, depending on how noticeable the graft is likely to be when the tree is mature vs. how healthy the particular cultivar is likely to be on its own roots in comparison to wild type rootstock.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’m planning to air layer all 4 of the Japanese maples that I bought. The layer on the Arakawa will definitely be above the graft because, as you noted, the rough bark is distinctive. The others will either be layered above the graft or just below it, depending on how noticeable the graft is likely to be when the tree is mature vs. how healthy the particular cultivar is likely to be on its own roots in comparison to wild type rootstock.

Make sure all your cultivars are capable of being air layered, not all JM air layer.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Make sure all your cultivars are capable of being air layered, not all JM air layer.
That’s why I said they’ll be “layered above the graft or just below it”. The rootstock is ordinary Acer palmatum, which can definitely be layered even if one of the cultivars can’t be layered.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That’s why I said they’ll be “layered above the graft or just below it”. The rootstock is ordinary Acer palmatum, which can definitely be layered even if one of the cultivars can’t be layered.

Maybe it just me but it makes no sense to start with grafted material then do an air layer and still end up with grafted material.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe it just me but it makes no sense to start with grafted material then do an air layer and still end up with grafted material.

If the graft is good/acceptable and the goal is better nebari, an air layer below the graft or a ground layer at soil line will preserve what may be a more hardy root stock, or allow for a redo if the scion isnt a cultivar that air layers, as you mentioned earlier.

Top Bottom