Arakawa maple

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Large GULP, yep nice tree, thank goodness they selll you the one they show you, for 10750, I'd want to have an idea what it looked like.

Bonsai has arisen in the US thats for sure.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
always fun to see differn't prices for bonsai. It's a cool tree but for 10k you could do a lot better.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Browsing through his store reveals a lot of overpriced stuff.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
All I can say is that as far as price is concerned, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, it does not matter what anyone else thinks. or There is an ass for every seat, both work.;)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay"

Can't argue with that. If someone has $10,000 and wants a nice arakawa or crape myrtle, then they're going to buy them. I can't help but think, however, that the target audience with the cash and the desire is extremely small.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My derrier doesn't fit that seat either, but it always seems to work out that someone has stupid money to play with. Maybe it will be stolen this week, look Mr adjuster see how much they go for, it's right there on the internet.

KABUDACHI

Seedling
Reaction score
Honestly and no insult to the seller if you happen to be a member... That is outright ridiculous and greedy. Believe it or not this pricing strategy is harmful to bonsai(Especially here in the U.S where bonsai is still growing) because newbies cringe when they see stuff like that and shun off bonsai as an art for the wealthy.

I looked at both trees and don't see what merit these prices. Perhaps this strategy is to bring attention to himself/business or you outright don't want to sell the trees. Hence why they are still sitting around and will be.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ridiculous and greedy are subjective terms. It's still a free market, and he's welcome to ask whatever he wants for his items. The laws of supply and demand will ultimately determine the price, then he'll have a decision to make. I doubt he'll get $10k for the maple, you can grow one like this in a bonsai "career", but it's nice to see quality trees out there.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"That is outright ridiculous and greedy. Believe it or not this pricing strategy is harmful to bonsai(Especially here in the U.S where bonsai is still growing) because newbies cringe when they see stuff like that and shun off bonsai as an art for the wealthy."

I don't think it's ridiculous or greedy. It is an impressive maple. It took quite a while to produce (if may even be an import--which would add pump up the starting price by $4 or 5 thousand to start, just to get it into the country. Developed arakawa with such nice branching and bark are not common in the US. The seller obviously knows that. Really crappy arakawa turnk chops can go for $1,000. It is the species' rarity, the size and branch development that is driving the price here, not ego.).

The seller is asking what he thinks it's worth. No one is being forced to buy it.

This is hardly a newbie tree. It is not a K-Mart bloodgood. A newbie would not consider it. Even for someone who's been doing bonsai for 20 years now, I wouldn't consider it. I don't have the money, nor would I want to spend that amount on a tree. Doesn't mean someone else wouldn't like to if they've been looking for a nice big, developed cork bark maple for a while.

Whoever buys such a tree could actually HELP cheaper bonsai along. Dealers can rarely make a living off of such "whale" trees and buyers. The seller can use the money to buy other bonsai stuff, establish new trees, buy more stock, etc.

Top Bottom