Arakawa multi trunk

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I purchased this tree as a 1 or 2 yr old air layer from Martin Sweeney back in 10/13. Last spring, I unspotted it, lightly worked the roots and potted it up in this 3 gal can. Today, I got to work on it again in preparation for planting it out in the ground.
DSCF3338.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF3339.jpg
    DSCF3339.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wanted to keep the roots as flat as possible, so I planted the tree on top of an inverted bulb pot placed inside the nursery can. It served it's purpose quite well, but proved to be a bit difficult to remove from the mass of roots.
DSCF3340.jpg DSCF3341.jpg DSCF3342.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
DSCF3343.jpg DSCF3344.jpg DSCF3346.jpg One fault with this material is that the trunks are all ram rod straight. With that in mind, I've wired some of the smaller branches upward with the intention of making them the new leaders. The middle trunk didn't have a suitable branch. so I started a thread graft last year. The plan will be to cut back to the new leaders in a few years. The trunk base was screwed to a board and was planted out in the ground. Next update sometime in the next 3-5 years...

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice Dave. Love multi trunk maples! I would let the amount of growth vary on each tree so that trunks thicken at different rates. That way you'll end up with size variety in your design.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice Dave. Love multi trunk maples! I would let the amount of growth vary on each tree so that trunks thicken at different rates. That way you'll end up with size variety in your design.
Right. This tree is still very young and has a lot of growing to do. When the time comes, each trunk will get chopped at a different height, and hopefully, will have noticeably different girths by then. I'm hoping for some corky bark by then, too!

Top Bottom