Arakawa price

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

For some years I have been looking at getting an arakawa. However, every tree that has been started with bonsai in mind is 20+ years old Japan import, at a $500+ pricetag. With me travelling 8 weeks per year for work, this is not something I am willing to spend on delicate trees like maples.

So I have decided to ask around and found a grower some 150km away (I understand some people do not know what that is; It is about 95 miles) that has one arakawa for sale, which stands about 80cm tall (Just shy of 3 feet). They sent me a picture of it, see below. It has a pretty ugly graft, especially considering the stock will not develop bark and will need to be layered off. Pricetag on this one is 40 euro (Someone told me not the whole world uses our ugly money, it is about 45 USD).

arakawa.JPG

So.. Would love your input..
- Worth the money? (Yes, question is whether it is worth it to me.. But.. Would you be spending this for this plant?)
- Worth the effort?
- Is it possible to air layer arakawa and grow it on own roots?
- What would your plan be with this specific tree? I was thinking layering the two main branches off, and just keeping the tiny branch that sprouts just above the fork, rebuild the tree, then layer the main trunk to put the thickest section on its own oots too. Viable plan?

Thx!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Some of these questions are above my skill level but right now in this point of my life $ 45.00 is not a lot to spend on anything that may bring you some level of entertainment and joy for any period of time. If you worked on it and nothing became of it wouldn't you still have the fun of doing the work? I as much as anyone would enjoy creating a great tree but also have to accept the fact that most of the time, and almost all of the time whatever I create is not going to be great. It has to be because you enjoy the work. I would purchase it right away as most likely if you take very long the laws of karma are going to take over and when you go back, someone else will make the same decision to purchase it. Good luck!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
In my area that would be decent for the price even grafted. But some people have had non grafted ones for half the price. I've paid about $35 for smaller ones which I'm growing out and will airlayer to have them on their own roots. Only one Japanese maple shop around here.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Leatherback, I'm uploading pics of my arakawa trees. The small one was a-l last year, did two, but one dried... The firtst uploaded was for 50€ 2 years ago. I spent half of lifetime to find it for that money.

Look at the bark of the small tree, it's already started growing cork bark. It always starts somewhere around the nodes and from the bottom of the trunk. What I wanna say... I can't see this kind of bark on your tree. Maybe different cultivar.

Attachments

• acer%20p.%20'Arakawa'%202016%20spring%201.jpg
    acer%20p.%20'Arakawa'%202016%20spring%201.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 117
  • A.%20p.%20arakawa%202015%2002%2001%20divided.jpg
    A.%20p.%20arakawa%202015%2002%2001%20divided.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 115

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you worked on it and nothing became of it wouldn't you still have the fun of doing the work?
With about 100 potted trees, and 200 more in a field, I am not lacking for "fun" ;) So that would not be the deciding factor. I only want to buy trees now if they add something. Arakawa is so different, it would add something ;)

In my area that would be decent for the price even grafted.
OK, thx

I would buy it for sure
OK, thx

They layer very easily and develop fairly fast comparatively speaking
Great, that makes it easier to get it :). Worst case, I can layer the rootstock off

I can't see this kind of bark on your tree. Maybe different cultivar.
I myself was in doubt too where the bark would start. However, this is a reputable maple seller. They specialize in japanese maples, and cannot afford to wrongly sell the trees (I have been here before, and these people are hobbiest-colectors gone pro). I trust their judgement.

I have just placed an order over email, with request to give me a quote, also ordering a Katsura and a Seiru, The latter two a whole lot more affordable, but also grafted. Lots of layering next year!

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The 'Sango-kaku' is beautiful cultivar too.

Yeah, air-layering, I'm out of space for next five years. Enjoy.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Funny, I literally just finished putting two,air layers on mine.
Send to me.. Send to me!!
;) I know. Import ragulations yadieyadie..
Let me know how it goed.
Do you have any idea how long it tkes for the bark to mature? 5-10 years sound right?
Sango-kaku
Ah yes. The red-branched maple.

base797

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey leather,
It might be a little longer, but I'm no expert. I've only had this for about 4 years and it's progressed quite a bit (branches mainly). I was told by that grower that mine was 18 years old at purchase. At that time the main trunk was complete with the rough bark. Oh, it's not grafted and vigorous, so they should layer well and survive on its own root system.

Patrik

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Frankly, I think that Acer palmatum 'Arakawa' is largely over-estimated among bonsai enthusiasts.

I've seen a couple (2 or three, no more) of outstanding specimens from Japan, but very few (understatement) grown outside Japan. So it's a thrilling experience you're attempting. The leaves are quite big compared to other cultivars, so maybe you could aim at a "large bonsai"...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thx Alain, I just llike the contrast between the fine foliage, and the rough bark. I may never create world class bonsai, of any species.. :)

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw Bill's, in his "Rochester, NY garden a few years back; contrast was stunning.
A truly beautiful strain of Acer palmatum.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

So I did get this tree. It has been 3 growing seasons. And besides it only flushing once per year, it also has not developed any rough bark. I find this very odd. Should it not have started to bark up already? Or is this normal?

I am thinking about layering this year, hoping that maybe it will be come more vigourous.

D

Deleted member 21616

Hi All,

So I did get this tree. It has been 3 growing seasons. And besides it only flushing once per year, it also has not developed any rough bark. I find this very odd. Should it not have started to bark up already? Or is this normal?

I am thinking about layering this year, hoping that maybe it will be come more vigourous.

Have you thought about taking cuttings? Looks like you can take quite a few at a time from that tree (if it still looks like it did in the photo...) and this would give you complete control over the roots and shape!

i have seen 15 tear old arakawa with very little rough bark, and i have seen 5 year old arawakas completely barked up. I think i read somewhere that direct sun helps this? (Note, it is easier to back bud/graft on a trunk that has not barked up - just repeating what i’ve read here)

as an aside, i would never do it myself but a friend of mine thread grafted deshojo branches onto his arakawa trunk, because the leaves of his arakwa were just too large for his design. In winter, the rough bark trunk contrasts with the smooth branches, but he has kept the the internodes and branching tight enough that all summer he has a rough bark maple with fire-red leaves, what a sight to behold!

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
If you put "Acer Palmatum Arakawa" into eBay you will get 2 sellers of young grafted plants for roughly 10EUR (one from Italy, one from UK):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-palmatum-Arakawa-pre-bonsai-rare/232677844051
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-PALMATUM-ARAKAWA/362521910447

I previously bought some from different seller who currently has no Arakawa (might have later) but has Nishiki Gawa which is another interesting cultivar having bark like black pine:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-palmatum-Nishiki-Gawa-in-7cm-pot-ideal-bonsai-subject/202363280260

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
all summer he has a rough bark maple with fire-red leaves,
Sounds cool!

As for cuttings.. I have never been able to get cuttings from japanese maples to take. If anyone has suggestions on what age, timing, etc to use, please! I did get Clonex gel, instead of the powder I have been using, to see whether that makes a difference. But I am really bad with cuttings. Only tamarix, juniper and those sort of species root well for me.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you put "Acer Palmatum Arakawa" into eBay you will get 2 sellers of young grafted plants for roughly 10EUR (one from Italy, one from UK):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-palmatum-Arakawa-pre-bonsai-rare/232677844051
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACER-PALMATUM-ARAKAWA/362521910447

I previously bought some from different seller who currently has no Arakawa (might have later) but has Nishiki Gawa which is another interesting cultivar having bark like black pine:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-palmatum-Nishiki-Gawa-in-7cm-pot-ideal-bonsai-subject/202363280260

Thx. not really looking for more specimens now. (However, I will try and grow new ones, as arakawa on its own rootstock is rare). I have both young arakawa & nishiki gawa growing out, from plants I bought.. 2 years ago?

Top Bottom