Arakawa price

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those stateside looking for this maple, Mendicino Maples on the west coast has this plant as well as Nishiki Gawa, which actually sounds like a better plant. On the east coast, Eastwood Maples list this plant in Virginia.

D

Deleted member 21616

Sounds cool!

As for cuttings.. I have never been able to get cuttings from japanese maples to take. If anyone has suggestions on what age, timing, etc to use, please! I did get Clonex gel, instead of the powder I have been using, to see whether that makes a difference. But I am really bad with cuttings. Only tamarix, juniper and those sort of species root well for me.

I am doing a 2-week apprenticeship in May on cuttings, with a guy who propagates maples exclusively by cutting. he has 20+ cultivars, (including the notoriously difficult deshojo). i'll report back when i am fluent in cuttings

my go-to person would be @0soyoung though - he is well researched and well experienced!

D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Arakawa is a fantastic cultivar! It will air layer easily. I've done them in as little as 3 weeks. You can also do thread grafts, approach grafts, root grafts all with a certain amount of ease and great success. They typically will start to bark up at around age 7 give or take. Every tree is different so time can vary. I have one in my growing area that at the time of purchase was a 6 year old air layer. It is now 8 years old and it is only barking up where they are some larger cuts. The rest still smooth green. In Japan many are grafted resulting in a smooth looking nebari which I always think it looks too incongruous with the rest of the tree. This should be avoided although they may perhaps grow with more vigor when grafted onto a standard Japanese green maple stock.

Aslo Matt Smith has many usually posted on eBay but they are not cheap!! He has informed me that at Brussel's they have hundreds growing in pots.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Thx. not really looking for more specimens now. (However, I will try and grow new ones, as arakawa on its own rootstock is rare). I have both young arakawa & nishiki gawa growing out, from plants I bought.. 2 years ago?
I only found out your post is 2 years old when I posted reply ;-)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The plant in this thread has been moved into the landscape to grow out there. I was able to take some cuttings last year of other arakawa stock in my yard. Who knows. I might end up with too many; Right now I have 7 youngsters :). Two need layering of the wild maple rootstock. The others .. first spring on their own roots.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Had it started barking up? I only saw the pic in the original post.

Top Bottom