Arakawa woes(Thanks UPS)

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
I put in a call to growing grounds about 18 months ago to ask if he had any mature Japanese quince. He asked me why anybody would want Japanese quince and that he had Chinese quince instead. He was not nice about it and definitely had a "I'm better than you and I know more than you" attitude. Business is just too tough to have this kind of attitude no matter what industry you are selling to.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's more than just being nice to get business. You can tell the people who are into something because they want to help people and people who are just trying to make money. It's sad to see that a company like that exists in bonsai, but greed knows no bounds.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And also, I want to thank those of you who suggested Don Blackmond from Gregory Beach Bonsai. I live only an hour or two from Dowagiac, so I'll be scheduling an appointment with Don to see when I can come down. His site, for anyone who's interested, is: http://www.gregorybeachbonsai.com/

Lucky Dog! A day's drive for me...

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know! All these years and I thought there were no good bonsai nurseries anywhere near me. I'm excited to go down there in late winter to see what I can snag! :D

cship4885

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought an Arakawa from him, and a small portion of the apex was broken off with a smashed box top. On the other hand I bought a small Shimpaku from Muranaka, and he shipped that little thing with a PVC construct around the interior of the box and put styrofoam peanuts in. Don Blackmond can also pack a tree well. Buy from Muranaka or Don Blackmond. Nothing but good customer service from them.
I will also vouch for Don Blackmond's packaging. I received an over 2 ft tall trident with lots of top growth. None of which was damaged.

KABUDACHI

Seedling
Reaction score
Don is one of my friends from even before he had his nursery. I am also his customer and have lost count the volume of trees ive purchased from him. A dealer full of integrity and make it right attitude. Hes a good guy. Hes got the best trees in the states right now.

James

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm gonna call "foul" on this one from the seller's perspective. If you want to ship something domestically, you can definitely package it to withstand 99% of all possible damage in the distribution channel. If you are shipping bonsai and cannot stand on the box, you have not packaged it adequately. If you pick up the box, shake it HARD, and something moves AT ALL, you have not packaged it adequately. Wiring something to the bottom of a box and saying "it works most of the time" does not cut it. Here's how I ship one of my rocking chairs:

rc1.jpg

rc2.jpg

rc3.jpg

rc4.jpg

rc5.jpg

rc6.jpg

Cross country I can freight ship that container for $200 - $250. Pennies when you consider the bonsai you could ship in a comparable crate. If nurseries want to ship nice trees, they should deliver on the packaging and ship it appropriately.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Now I remember, that was one nice piece of work, I have done enough myself to know what went into making that, you are a craftsman all around it seems. Thanks for the shipping look too.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that chair is amazing. Very nice work Bnut :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks about the rocker comments... but I don't want to hijack the Arakawa thread. We were talking about shipping Japanese maples :) My point was simply this - you can ship anything if you care to package it properly. The fact that bonsai came in a box where the top was crushed indicates to me that the box wasn't thick enough. Buy a bigger box, line it with hexa corrugate panels, put foam panel on the bottom, wire the pot to the bottom panel through the foam, pack the pot in expanding foam bags and backfill the box with peanuts. Done. Charge the customer for the cost of the packaging and explain WHY it costs the extra $$$.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Ray, any updates on this one? Did the top make it, or is it too early to tell...Hope so, it's a nice tree.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Judy, give me two or three more days and I can get you some pictures of the orange/red/green spring foliage :D
It's looking beautiful though and yes, the top is coming back with a vengence.
I just repotted it this past weekend, stay tuned for pictures.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I had not read this thread previously and did so in its entirety this morning. Word of mouth advertising is "priceless." I contacted this grower/seller about a month ago inquiring on availabilty of several trees. I did not mention a price range but did say I did not want to go too overboard on pricing. I have never heard back. Intersting how this grower/seller appears to be only interested in those willing to spend large sums and then offers shoddy packing. I must wonder how he knew my definition of "too overboard on pricing". After reading this thread, I must say I am glad this grower/seller chose to not respond to my inquiry.

Recently I have purchased several trees from George Muranaka and his packing is unbelievably great!!! Another member of this forum had recommended George and said I would be impressed with his packing. This is what I mean by word of mouth advertising.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yay,:D so happy for you that the top made it. Looking forward to the pics!

Ron, glad you went with George instead.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don Blackmond does have a website, it is sometimes not too current, but he's a good source. And happy to take pics if you tell him what you are after and a price range. Gregorybeachbonsai.com is the address. Always happy to steer people to Don. Tell him I said hi!

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Well..as promised!

green-arakawa_maples%20(1%20of%203).JPG

green-arakawa_maples%20(2%20of%203).JPG

The tree is leafing out very nicely as you can see. This warm weather we've been having is really waking things up fast.

There is a very small branch that started last year, lowest on the left side, so I've been pinching like a fiend in hopes that more energy will direct itself toward that area. Other than this, I really enjoy the tree a lot.
More to come as they turn green!

Top Bottom