Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree - great bark!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Excellent! Spent all winter with fingers crossed and it paid off! Looks good in that pot too.
Twin trunk is among my favorites.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Excellent! Spent all winter with fingers crossed and it paid off! Looks good in that pot too.
Twin trunk is among my favorites.

Thanks!
Fingers were definitely crossed. I don't know how many times I got to looking at the tree trying to think of a potential new top just in case. Glad I didn't have to go there :D
Thanks on the pot compliment too, I lucked out with that. My local shop owner found it at her house and knew I was in need of a new one. I didn't know how I'd like the seafoam color but I really like it now with the tree in it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, funny how things you think won't work turn out to be the most amazingly perfect fit. This looks so good.
And the picture does it proud, even though I'm sure in person it's even better. What a beautiful tree, and what great bark. I'm so happy that the top was saved.

The way the two trunks push away from each other on this tree is singular and captivating to the eye..

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Yeah, funny how things you think won't work turn out to be the most amazingly perfect fit. This looks so good.
And the picture does it proud, even though I'm sure in person it's even better. What a beautiful tree, and what great bark. I'm so happy that the top was saved.

The way the two trunks push away from each other on this tree is singular and captivating to the eye..

Good luck has graced me with this, that's for sure. Next time you come up you'll have to stop by and take a look!
Thanks for the compliments Judy. Theres another bit I'll try and photograph soon that I really admire about the tree in addition to the trunks. It's hard to see in the photo but on the left trunk there is a branch growing downward and to the left and when in full leaf should make for a really nice bit of depth. I'll see about trying to capture it..

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, we are back up this year, probably Thanksgiving week again... Maybe it'll be in it's fall dress then!

jersanct

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow. I wish I had checked this thread before now--I hadn't visited bonsainut for a while and forgot to look for information here.

My experiences with Marc Torppa @ the Growing Grounds appear to have matched everyone else’s, with the only difference being that I don’t actually have the tree I “bought” from him and do not figure that I ever will. If it does arrive, it sounds like I should expect that it will be damaged. The only thing that happened quickly and smoothly in this transaction was his immediate cashing of the check I foolishly sent to him.

I told him I would give him until tomorrow to straighten this out before I started sharing my experiences with every bonsai friend I have and every forum I could find, so I'll just leave it there for now. I'll be back with more detail tomorrow.

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Wow. I wish I had checked this thread before now--I hadn't visited bonsainut for a while and forgot to look for information here.

My experiences with Marc Torppa @ the Growing Grounds appear to have matched everyone else’s, with the only difference being that I don’t actually have the tree I “bought” from him and do not figure that I ever will. If it does arrive, it sounds like I should expect that it will be damaged. The only thing that happened quickly and smoothly in this transaction was his immediate cashing of the check I foolishly sent to him.

I told him I would give him until tomorrow to straighten this out before I started sharing my experiences with every bonsai friend I have and every forum I could find, so I'll just leave it there for now. I'll be back with more detail tomorrow.

Ah hell, sorry to hear this. I hope you tree does arrive, and in one piece.
I strongly suggest you hound him and be ready for resistance.
When I first got in contact with him after having issues he swore up and down about his flawless track record blah blah. Any mention I made of refunds and/or replacements were ignored, flat out.

It's a real shame. I hear that his father ran the place very well.
Be sure to file a claim with UPS whether or not he helps you out.

:/

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree is wonderful! It's that combo of those red tipped leaves and that craggy bark! My Kiyohime is also leafing out, which I'm about to post:)

Top Bottom