Araucaria Norfolk island pine baby

wwtigraww

Seedling
Reaction score
got this pretty baby and really excited. long work ahead but hopefully will be with it! im hoping for help to grow it as cascade , but if you have suggestion I would be delighted!

Attachments

• 20191023_111106.jpg
    20191023_111106.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20191023_111115.jpg
    20191023_111115.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 98

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I haven't seen a ton of these as bonsai. This could mean 1. They don't respond well to bonsai techniques or 2 they just aren't popular as bonsai. Either way it makes it hard for a beginner.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I suggest you don’t...but will be interested to see how it goes.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had a Norfolk pine from the Christmas clearance racks, I picked up for $1. I made a landscape sort of thing in a shallow bonsai pot that I keep at work, just for fun. It's been in the shallow pot for a couple of years and does fine. But nothing bonsai about it. Not sure they're suited for bonsai techniques.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Early on I had a houseplant size ~5 feet that I struggled to train. It won. Long internodes, straight as an arrow come hell or high water. Whorls of branches make staircases unworkable. Shortening a branch is branch murder. Other than that...

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
For what it’s worth, not sure how I feel about any of them. The middle one is kind of interesting.

k6354.jpg

wwtigraww

Seedling
Reaction score
I see. I have searched a lot and came up with similar results, only a few examples there. I already have a hoop pine which I got because love the idea of "conifer" in the house. these are best ideas I have. going to have a go 🙈 I will be updating here if anybody wants to follow for what's it worse lol. this is my existing Araucaria hoop pine that I let grow free over the summer to see what's happening

Attachments

• 20191005_151326.jpg
    20191005_151326.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 91

wwtigraww

Seedling
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, not sure how I feel about any of them. The middle one is kind of interesting.

I agree. I was thinking when I saw the circles on the the attached photo, may be contorted cascade? the contorted circles or waves would reduce the visual "stretchy/ leggy" look between the branches. or the "weeping willow" look. not quite proper bonsai but could be at least pretty and something to play with for now. second picture is Huon pine. was trying to search images with weeping pine tags

Attachments

• 20191025_230906.jpg
    20191025_230906.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20191024-212836_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20191024-212836_Google.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 85

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've done a good bit of internet research recently and I've seen about zero examples of Norfolk Island Pine as a singular bonsai that looked very good. The one noted and pictured above is the best singular tree that I've seen yet.

However, I think that they can look reasonable and pleasing in a forest group. Their growth habit may be annoyingly top-heavy and/or somewhat difficult but they may have merit for some people since Norfolk Island Pine is perhaps the one conifer that can realistically be grown indoors successfully. I'm not convinced that they are truly terrible material, yet. I can't help thinking that all the mallsai pro-nanas destined to die a dry death indoors, residing over their little "Inspire" or "Peace" rocks, would be better replaced instead by Norfolk Island Pines that actually have a chance of surviving.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any idiot can grow one in the house if you a good exposure. However, nobody can manage one. They do not respond to helm. I must admit that I haven't tried one in 15 years and I'm more skilled now, but I had a big one when I started bonsai 20 years ago and every thing I did turned to shit. The branches don't actually die when you shorten them, but they don't ramify to speak of either. The needles are everywhere on the trunk and branches and removing them is neither clean nor easy so you don't get bark unless maybe you're in prison with nothing else to do, for 20 years. I'm trying a Black Dragon that has all the good shiny dark green appearance without the shortcomings of NIP. I hope to report in the future 100% success. Hold your breath.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Currently have been working on one for four years. I totally agree with all the negative comments. Especially concerning the lack of response to any attempt to shorten the limbs. The best I could do has been to totally remove some limbs and make the others weep.🤬

Aaron S.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had one going for a year now. It has not done much but it is still alive.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Araucaria - Norfolk pines and Monkey Puzzle trees.
The whole genus is terrible as bonsai. Any attempts at pruning, styling or otherwise shaping will result in poor results. I tried one for a decade, it got crappier and crappier looking. Abandon all hope.

They make passable house plants, that is about it.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My mom loves them and I help her out trimming/pruning/repotting the ones she has. I would say first off that wiring is basically useless unless you are talking about the trunk or thick, major branches. They might be suitable to a penjing style or forest planting but refining one of them would give me nightmares.

But honestly, they are great houseplants, probably as good or better than dracena.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nigels forest looks cool til u get to the part of the vid where he prunes lol then looks redic.. Then to hear they dont ramify just sucks..i was just looking at then at grocery store

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
got this pretty baby and really excited. long work ahead but hopefully will be with it! im hoping for help to grow it as cascade , but if you have suggestion I would be delighted!
Wishing you tons of success with this project. I hope you'll keep us all posted with pics.
My five year project with this species was a total and complete bust. The only good thing that came out of it for me was learning of another species I could not use to create a bonsai. But, I do wish you the very best.

Top Bottom