Arborvitae potential

iconvoid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I'm not a fan of arborvitae in the landscape, generally, and I have some native plants that would love this spot. But I also don't like throwing away healthy trees/plants.

Last summer I pruned away most of the foliage from the lower trunk (really three trunks) to open it up to the light. It's got the standard foliage from about 1' from the ground to the top (around 4' high).

The trunks are humdrum enough that I'm sure this material can never be a true bonsai, but I'm still wonder how it might do in a pot with some light styling, for patio interest. You can see there are a few sprigs of foliage close to the ground. What's the likelihood these can be trained as new branches, or even possibly new leaders?

uW6Vb3-B.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hairshirts make bad presents, but we can buy them for ourselves. Same for self-flagellation whips.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@iconvoid - ignore Mr Forsoothe - he's being gumpy and cryptic today. Welcome to BNut.

Those little sprouts can become new branches. It will take time. Once these new shoots are 3 or so years old, they will be strong enough that they could take over if you where to do a "chop" and bring the height of this bush down. But do not do the "chop" for at least 2 years. These shoots are too weak at the moment.

Most bonsai are less than 4 feet tall. Vast majority in USA are less than 3 feet tall. The normal proportions for bonsai are roughly in thirds. The first third is the trunk and primary branches. The second third is the secondary branching the outer third is the fine branches and leaves. I say "outer third" as trunks and designs are not always vertical. This is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Artistic sensibilities can trump any of these "guidelines". The guides are useful mainly when one is not sure of what to do. Following the guidelines ("rules") will usually turn out a pleasant to look at tree. But artistic inspiration can trump any of the guidelines.

By removing the lower foot of branches you largely made this arborvitae unsuitable for bonsai use. Though the new sprouts are coming. Once they have grown strong enough then this clump could be used for bonsai. If you need to remove this arborvitae now, to put in your native plantings, then landfill or compost heap is the better choice for this tree. If you can leave it for 2 or 3 years, to allow lower branches to get strong again, it can be pruned short and lifted into a pot and begin training as bonsai. As is, this material will require quite a few years to become bonsai. There are easier ways to get into the bonsai hobby.

The Chicago area has an active bonsai scene. Look for the Bonsai Show Aug 20 - 22 at the Chicago Botanic Garden, on Lake-Cook Road, Glencoe IL. The Midwest bonsai society meets at CBG,

Also there is the commercial nursery Hidden Gardens which has a focus on bonsai. Stocks both trees and supplies. https://www.hiddengarden.net/

iconvoid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
@iconvoid - ignore Mr Forsoothe - he's being gumpy and cryptic today. Welcome to BNut.

Those little sprouts can become new branches. It will take time. Once these new shoots are 3 or so years old, they will be strong enough that they could take over if you where to do a "chop" and bring the height of this bush down. But do not do the "chop" for at least 2 years. These shoots are too weak at the moment.

Most bonsai are less than 4 feet tall. Vast majority in USA are less than 3 feet tall. The normal proportions for bonsai are roughly in thirds. The first third is the trunk and primary branches. The second third is the secondary branching the outer third is the fine branches and leaves. I say "outer third" as trunks and designs are not always vertical. This is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Artistic sensibilities can trump any of these "guidelines". The guides are useful mainly when one is not sure of what to do. Following the guidelines ("rules") will usually turn out a pleasant to look at tree. But artistic inspiration can trump any of the guidelines.

By removing the lower foot of branches you largely made this arborvitae unsuitable for bonsai use. Though the new sprouts are coming. Once they have grown strong enough then this clump could be used for bonsai. If you need to remove this arborvitae now, to put in your native plantings, then landfill or compost heap is the better choice for this tree. If you can leave it for 2 or 3 years, to allow lower branches to get strong again, it can be pruned short and lifted into a pot and begin training as bonsai. As is, this material will require quite a few years to become bonsai. There are easier ways to get into the bonsai hobby.

The Chicago area has an active bonsai scene. Look for the Bonsai Show Aug 20 - 22 at the Chicago Botanic Garden, on Lake-Cook Road, Glencoe IL. The Midwest bonsai society meets at CBG,

Also there is the commercial nursery Hidden Gardens which has a focus on bonsai. Stocks both trees and supplies. https://www.hiddengarden.net/

Thanks Leo!

Top Bottom