Arb's China Garden...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An "only in D.C." kind of thing that hits near the bonsai collection. News from ealier this year....

The planned China Garden is planned for 12 acres across the arb from the bonsai pavilions...It's supposed to be a $100 million installment and has been planned for decades.

Wendi Deng "Murdoch, The Wall St. Journal said, was previously believed to have lobbied for a planned $100 million Chinese garden at the National Arboretum in Washington, DC. The project, according to The Journal, was eventually blocked because officials feared a planned 70-foot tower could be used for surveillance."
http://www.businessinsider.com/kush...endi-deng-murdoch-may-be-a-chinese-spy-2018-1

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
70 foot tower could be used for surveillance.....bwahahahaha!
Maybe if the last guy knew that, they would have built it!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
70 foot tower could be used for surveillance.....bwahahahaha!
Maybe if the last guy knew that, they would have built it!
The intelligence community is cautious about giving up real estate on high ground since the Russians bought the "Mt Alto" site on Wisconsin Ave. just up from Georgetown in 1970 for their embassy. It inadvertently gave the Russkies one of the highest points in Washington to erect observation electronics. I used to live across the street from that.

The intel community has been paranoid about high points in DC ever since.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The intelligence community is cautious about giving up real estate on high ground since the Russians bought the "Mt Alto" site on Wisconsin Ave. just up from Georgetown in 1970 for their embassy. It inadvertently gave the Russkies one of the highest points in Washington to erect observation electronics. I used to live across the street from that.

The intel community has been paranoid about high points in DC ever since.
Hahaha!
I've been inside there a few times...
One of the more beautiful embassies here, imho....
I've been to a bunch...
You're right though that spot is quite the vantage point....

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I wonder why they still care about that when there's literally a 250 dollar drone that can go higher, and stay unnoticed, maybe even self destructs.
I know they're used to check up on, and do repairs to radio towers. They could be used to do other things as well. A concrete vantage point is something the authorities could regularly check. Shooting drones from the air.. That's a different story.

Top Bottom