Arctic Blast moving in...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Northern Ohio Severe Weather Alerts and Forecast
1 hr ·

***Arctic Blast Next Week*** After a potential winter storm Monday, some of the coldest arctic air to hit the area in over 25 years will arrive. We could break all time record lows Wednesday night! This is life threatening cold and should be taken seriously. Bring your pets indoors! Be sure all outdoor livestock/animals have proper bedding and shelter.
Monday: Windy, possible snow system we are watching, stay tuned!
High: 24, Low: 10
Tuesday: Lingering snow showers temperatures dropping, breezy, High: 14F, Low: -11F
Wednesday: Partly Sunny, breezy, High: -3F (wind chills -15F to -20F), Low: -19F (wind chills could near -30F to -40F)
Thursday: Partly sunny, breezy, High: -2F, (wind chills -10F to -20F) Low: -13F (wind chill -20F)
Friday: Cloudy High: 5, Low: -5
**Prepare now for possible school delays/closings each day next week. School closings are very likely Wednesday, Thursday and Friday due to the extreme cold.**

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This weeping Ryusen came from a similar arctic blast. I am glad I have a controlled cold greenhouse. But...what does anyone else do with outdoor temps being arctic to prevent dieback like I seen here in my own landscape trees. Those who don't have them tucked into a shelter? Just curious...I am wrapping a landscape tree before it hits with burlap...which we didn't wrap them all this year with mild winters. Though the maple was protected in burlap..and it didn't save the dieback from happening. Those wintering bonsai outside...what are your plans? If any...
image.jpgimage.jpg

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Larch, Scots, Mugo, crabapple most of my stuff is in the cold hard category. Lost some Japanese maples and Chinese elm due to too cold temps. Decided to never get more. I huddle trees up against the foundation of my home buried in leaves and constantly pile snow around the pots if it starts to melt until April. Maine zone 4/5

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I was going to worry, opened back door to try and move some trees around. Too late, all are buried in snow. Would not be able to find the ones I was worried about anyway. Which means, they will be just fine. From the last several snows, some parts of the yard have accumulated over 18 inches of snow, not all at once, but the last 3 events total. (18 inches is just under 0.5 meters for the rest of the world)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in your boat, Darlene. Next week my high temps will be around 0° F (-18C) and the lows will be around -14° F (-25C). This is the "once in a century " cold that hits landscape plants pretty hard, not the least one's bonsai trees. I'm in my 60's and can't remember it ever being this cold here.

I picked the wrong year to try to overwinter a few really pretty Japanese maples I bought from Pre Bonsai Mark Comstock. Oh well, can always buy more.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'm in your boat, Darlene. Next week my high temps will be around 0° F (-18C) and the lows will be around -14° F (-25C). This is the "once in a century " cold that hits landscape plants pretty hard, not the least one's bonsai trees. I'm in my 60's and can't remember it ever being this cold here.

I picked the wrong year to try to overwinter a few really pretty Japanese maples I bought from Pre Bonsai Mark Comstock. Oh well, can always buy more.
Where do you have the tree? It's not too late to increase the cold protection, particularly for one tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I agree with dav4...you should be able to offer some additional winter protection to a few trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I was going to worry, opened back door to try and move some trees around. Too late, all are buried in snow. Would not be able to find the ones I was worried about anyway. Which means, they will be just fine. From the last several snows, some parts of the yard have accumulated over 18 inches of snow, not all at once, but the last 3 events total. (18 inches is just under 0.5 meters for the rest of the world)
That's the best insulator...lucky Mother Nature was playing favorites...and you made the list.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the concern! (I love BNutters.)

Here's the story: I bought a Kiyo hime maple and a Rhode Island Red maple from Mark on FB auction in early December. He shipped them to me --extremely well packed, the bigger one double boxed -- and I put them in my uninsulated garage. We have an insulated garage also but that stays at 45°F, too warm for maintaining dormancy.

The temperatures got down to the teens last week so I put the maples in their shipping boxes with the tops open, and put seed sprouting heat mats underneath the boxes. I also put thermometers in each box. The garage stays about 5° warmer than outside, and the heat mats kept the maples around 28°F. So far, so good.

This week the really cold temps are rolling in. I took everything apart on a day when it was 30° and put the heat mats inside the boxes; put the maples on the heat mats, and filled in around the pots with styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap.The current outside temp is 7°; the garage is 18° and inside the boxes the maples are 25°. So far, so good I think.

In a few days when the low temps will be around -12°, I will cover the boxes temporarily with bath towels and keep checking the thermometers.

Does this sound like a way to keep my maples safe? It's the best plan I could come up with. The rest of my bonsai have been sunk into the soil in my garden and surrounded with evergreen boughs, and are now covered with snow...but it was too late to do that with the maples.

I wasn't planning to buy the maples but they sure were pretty.

Suggestions welcome!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
25 F should be fine for the maples, maybe even a little lower. I've had japanese maples in nursery containers exposed to temps well down into the single digits (F) for a couple of days (that's without the pots
protected, just sitting on the concrete floor in my barn) with no issues, though I wouldn't try that with something in a shallow bonsai container.

My more developed J maples are protected in a shelter which maintains min temps at about 26-27 F. I do have seedlings in nursery pots that go in an unheated porch where temps go down into the low
teens during extended cold spells.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Here's the story: I bought a Kiyo hime maple and a Rhode Island Red maple from Mark on FB auction in early December. He shipped them to me --extremely well packed, the bigger one double boxed -- and I put them in my uninsulated garage. We have an insulated garage also but that stays at 45°F, too warm for maintaining dormancy.

The temperatures got down to the teens last week so I put the maples in their shipping boxes with the tops open, and put seed sprouting heat mats underneath the boxes. I also put thermometers in each box. The garage stays about 5° warmer than outside, and the heat mats kept the maples around 28°F. So far, so good.

This week the really cold temps are rolling in. I took everything apart on a day when it was 30° and put the heat mats inside the boxes; put the maples on the heat mats, and filled in around the pots with styrofoam peanuts and bubble wrap.The current outside temp is 7°; the garage is 18° and inside the boxes the maples are 25°. So far, so good I think.

In a few days when the low temps will be around -12°, I will cover the boxes temporarily with bath towels and keep checking the thermometers.

Does this sound like a way to keep my maples safe? It's the best plan I could come up with. The rest of my bonsai have been sunk into the soil in my garden and surrounded with evergreen boughs, and are now covered with snow...but it was too late to do that with the maples.

Suggestions welcome!
Not sure how large these plants are or how long your super cold snap will last, but if you have the space in a refrigerator for limited time, they can be safe in there. I've kept dormant seedlings in boxes in my fridge for a month at a time or more. The only thing you have to worry about is keeping them from getting desiccated. The fridge is a very dry environment. I kept things happy by doing plastic humidity tenting around the boxes, and checking regularly.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had 31 degrees below zero yesterday morning.
Just 10 below this morning and they're calling for frigid weather the rest of the week.
9 to 13 inches of snow by tomorrow night with the temps down in the negative 20s.
Below zero every night this week.

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Suggestions welcome!
With temps following below 0degF I think I would just take the two in the garage for a couple for a couple of days. I don't think a few days inside your garage would cause dormancy break.

Morax

Yamadori
Reaction score
Mine are too lil, and i am too new to this so they are all in waiting for the freeze! My fishes got thier heat on so all good here.

Top Bottom